Living In Massachusetts Vs. Living In New York

The 4 Big Differences

3107

New York one of the most recognized states in the country with a huge population!

I arrived to New York about a month ago and I have come to realize that there is a big difference betweenliving and visiting a place. Living in an area means you are there for a long period of time and have to get use to your neighborhood and everything that comes in between. Visiting is like going on a school field trip where you enjoy the attractions and then leave to go back home.

Based on journey so far, I noticed four big differences that have caught my attention while being in the city and compared it to my life back home. Here they are..

1. FORGET ABOUT HAVING A CAR, TAKE THE BUS OR SUBWAY!

In Massachusetts, in Boston there is traffic and people do take the train to get their way around, however when I got here I took that traffic for granted lol. To get your way around from point A to point B in NY, take the subway because in the long run you don't want to be stuck in traffic having to put your car in park. Plus once you are use to the system and know what times the train arrive, you are good to go and becomes fairly easily! It can also be an adventure once you think about it.

2. CORNER STORES AND RESTAURANTS AT EVERY CORNER

If there is one thing I love about New York is that I see a lot of corner stores (bodegas) everywhere I go! Back in my hometown there are corner stores but nothing compared to here. It is quick and easy to get what you need down a block if you are in a rush. Lastly I enjoy the restaurants and how there is so much diversity there is so much diversity on what you can eat or choose from. New York in general is a diverse place and it's nice to get to know other people's cultures.

3. SIGHT SEEING IN NY VS. HISTORICAL/OCEAN VIEWS

Massachusetts in general overall, no matter where you go in the state there is always historical U.S history. Massachusetts focuses more on events on the past and how it has shaped to where we are in the country today. Meanwhile in New York, I noticed that majority of the museums or sights are modernized and follow the current trend. New York is known for the fashion, the arts, history, and new trends that come along the way.I know there is a museum of ice cream and fashion or the MET etc. that captures people's attention from all across the world.

4. TAX RATE DIFFERENCE

New York's tax rate is roughly around 8% depending on the county and in Salem,MA the rate is 6.25%. THIS IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE! I was shocked to see how the same products I use to buy at home can see a little bit more pricey here! Taxes my friends, is one thing you can't hide from and best save up your money depending on what state you visit.

Overall in my time in NYC has taught me a lot and see life in a new perspective. Each state has their differences but I enjoy both from time to time. It all depends on your personality and your customs on where you live and I have slowly adapted to the NYC style. My question to the reader is where would you live Massachusetts or New York? Feel free to comment comment below. Thanks!

From Your Site Articles