living in an apartment rather than a dorm

11 Differences Between Moving Into An Apartment Versus A Dorm

And they're VERY big differences

15
Madeline Dziak

In a little under a week, I will be moving back into school a week before classes start for fundamentals week with the marching band. However, this time will be much different than before. Unlike the last two years of my college life, this year I will be moving into an apartment off-campus rather than a dorm. In preparation for this different move, I thought about how things are now going to be different than what it was in the past and what I have gotten used to when it came to moving back to school. Here are 11 of them.

1. Rent

Yes, this year I have to actually pay to live where I will be staying once a month and for utilities also.

2. Transportation

I'll have to get on-campus by car because this year I won't be living on-campus and everything won't be walking distance every day.

3. Commuter parking.

GOODBYE LOT 12!!

4. Food

I won't be on a meal plan, so I know that I will definitely learn how to cook in my kitchen. Which brings me to my next point...

5. There's a kitchen

I won't have to go to the main floor of my dorm building and ask to rent out kitchen supplies just to make a meal. All of my stuff will be a few steps away.

6. Buying groceries

That means I will have to spend actual money on food. This also connects to point number 4.

7. I'll have my car on campus

This goes with the transportation point as for the past two years I never really had my car on-campus.

8. No check-in after hours

Back at the dorms when midnight hit, we had to check into the front desk. Now, we don't have to worry about that.

9. No elevator

The only thing that now sucks about the change from dorm to apartment. Lucky for me, my apartment is on the first floor.

10. The sense of security

I wouldn't say security much, but this goes back to checking in.

11. I got to go back to parking

Once again, to anyone who goes to Bowling Green State University, GOODBYE LOT 12!!