Living Alone Forced Me To Improve My Bad Habits
Education

When you are the only one doing all the chores in your place, it becomes quite obvious which chores you need to improve

155

For my first year of college, I didn't plan on living alone. I signed a two-bedroom lease for an apartment and I was planning on rooming with my friend. My friend got an incredible opportunity to live abroad and I was left with no roomie. It was an individual leased apartment, so I didn't have to pay for the other bedroom and I didn't have access to it. But I didn't plan on living alone that year. It just happened.

It forced me to come to terms with a lot of things about myself. When I forgot to take out the trash when I left for school, my trash was still full, waiting for me when I came home. When you are the only one doing all the chores in your place, it becomes quite obvious which chores you need to improve. My first year of college, I was horrible at doing my dishes and taking out my trash consistently.

However, I kept trying to get better and made a schedule for when I needed to accomplish these two chores. Three years later, and I do these chores without having to make a schedule. Making a small change in my life daily has helped eliminate some of my bad household habits.

Now, I'm in my senior year of college and living alone again after living with three roommates last year. Living with roommates taught me how much I appreciate having my own space. Maybe being an only child has something to do with it, but I really enjoy living alone.

I like having silence when I want it or music when I want it. I like being able to cook a meal at 3 a.m. without being worried about waking up my roommates. I like being able to come home from the bars at whatever hour without worry of waking up anyone. My mess (or the mess of my guests) is the only mess with which I ever must deal. It forces me to be accountable; I think living alone has made me a more responsible person.