8 Things You Will Understand If You Are Constantly Living #10For2

114 days, but who's counting?

604
Lauryn Smith

Anyone who's ever been a camp person before can definitely relate to the feeling of what's called living "ten for two." The idea of counting down all ten months of the entire year for those two months of summer just to do it all over again the following year is something that keeps me hopeful for what's to come.

If you know me, you know that camp is one of the most important parts of my life. Not only is it a source of income for my family as my mom is a camp director, but it is the place that has shaped me into the person I am today and given me a lifetime of memories and amazing friendships that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I couldn't imagine a life without camp but I'm glad that I never have to. There is just something in the air--a magical feeling that you get when you step on the grounds of camp that makes all of your worries and fears go away--and it's a feeling that I strive to hold onto the entire year while I wait for summer to roll around again.

Since I was three years old, camp has been the highlight of my year. I've always one of those people who spends all year long thinking, planning, and counting down the days until summer. I mean, who wouldn't want to every day outside in the sun just hanging out and having fun with your best friends? Okay, it might be a little more complicated than that but camp has always been the kind of job that doesn't feel like a job. It's actually one of the most exhausting experiences ever, but in the best way possible. The skills and lessons you acquire at camp are experiences that you can't get elsewhere. And this is why I'm a firm believer that camp people are the best people...sorry not sorry.

The "ten for two" mentality probably seems a little crazy to people especially if you're not a camp person and don't spend the entire year thinking about your summer. While I know it's not the best mindset to have sometimes, just knowing that camp is right around the corner keeps my spirits high especially when times are shitty. I'm all for living in the moment, but I also think it's totally okay and healthy to have things to look forward to. So while we are all staring at the snow out our window and patiently waiting for the cold to disappear, if you are anything like me, here are just some of the things you might do while you are living #10for2.

1. You talk to your camp friends on a daily basis

excited good news GIF by Charm LadonnaGiphy

Besides my mom (who also works at camp so maybe she would even count in this), my camp friends are the first people I tell just about anything to. Whether I need advice, a hype woman, or just to vent, they are always the first people there to support me no matter what and I love being able to do the same for them. These people also just know way too much about me and all my personal issues...but I will just leave it at that.

2. Your entire wardrobe is filled with camp clothes

Lauryn Smith

The picture still doesn't do it justice...three people and almost twenty-seven years of camp later you can only imagine how many camp clothes my family owns. T-shirts, tank tops, pullovers, bucket hats, mask chains--there is truly camp attire for every occasion and therefore I feel #blessed.

3. You make a countdown to camp every year and you make it a point to remind people how many days until camp as often as possible

countdown GIFGiphy

Like I said before 114 days til the first day of orientation...but who's counting?

You come up with silly excuses/ideas of things to do just so you can see your camp friends during the school year

Lauryn Smith

Book clubs, acai bowl and ice cream trips, unnecessary "admin team" meetings via zoom--we have truly done it all and we will continue to make up dumb reasons to see each other probably for the rest of our lives (even if it includes the boys making fools of themselves as they perform a barber shop quartet...sorry if I'm exposing y'all out here but I think the world needs to see it).

You could talk about camp for hours...and you do

run dmc shut up GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas RodgersGiphy

As my dad likes to say, the ANN, or Apachi News Network, is always rolling in my household, especially during the summertime when three out of the four of us work there. I apologize deeply Dad, but I hope you know that we really don't have anything better to talk about.

6. Hearing a certain song on the radio and it instantly taking you back to a certain memory at camp

Lauryn Smith

Or better yet you might have a brother who is conveniently the camp song leader so you can force him to play any camp song you want to hear at any time!

7. You tear up as you watch your tan lines slowly fade away throughout the year

ross geller friends GIFGiphy

The best part of summer is getting tan and no one can disagree with me on that.

8. Despite you saying this every year, you just know that this next summer is going to be the best one yet

Lauryn Smith

College during a pandemic can be pretty tough, but just knowing that camp is around the corner is what is getting me through the tough COVID winter months. I may have high expectations for this upcoming summer, but it's only because I already know how amazing it's going to be. Out of all eighteen years that I have spent at camp, last summer was truly the best of my entire life and gave me more than I could ever imagine...and we did it all amidst a global pandemic! And maybe now that we know a little bit more about what we're doing, I just have so much faith that it is going to be just as if not more special than last year. Summer 2021 I have never been more ready for you, but for now I will be living #10for2.