Live for YOU

Live for YOU

Don't live up to others' expectations of you, make yourself happy.

52
Live for YOU
goalcast.com

I have a memory from high school that stands out so vividly.

I was a junior and school had just ended. There was a girl I was acquaintances with. She was hysterically crying, which I knew was unlike her. She was usually pretty quiet, but also happy from what I could tell.

I would have asked anyone why they were crying, but I was extra concerned because I knew her. She vented to me that she think she just bombed an AP Chemistry test and she wasn't sure how well she was doing in Pre-Calculus. Now, I was naturally baffled because I am the worst at math, and I can't even fathom being in AP anything unless it's English and History.

I told her that one bad test happens to everyone and that it'll be okay, but she continued to explain that her parents were forcing her to take these classes that overwhelmed her. Furthermore, she said that she didn't want to disappoint them, but it was causing her anxiety.

This broke my heart because I fully understand how it feels to want to make your parents proud, but I never had to stress myself out to make my mom proud. She's always been proud of me for just trying my hardest and for being myself. I guess I didn't understand the effect of having parents that watched you suffer and didn't really care.

Now that I'm in college, I feel like this hasn't changed much. I constantly ask people what their majors are and what their majors would be if they could be anything.

Everyone makes fun of me for being an English major, constantly saying I won't get a job, I won’t make money, etc. But, I do it because I love it and doing homework doesn't overwhelm me in the way that I have anxiety and mental breakdowns, like I did in high school when I was studying for Geometry or Earth Science.

I can believe in myself when I write essays or pieces, and I'm confident with myself for having good grades. I don't have to constantly worry if I made the right choice by "being practical" instead of being passionate.

I walk around campus and see zombies of people that are sometimes pursuing things because their parents want them to or because everyone told them that what they wanted to do wasn't a "good idea". I can't even put myself into someone's shoes like that because of the love I have for my major, but I can't imagine studying for something I absolutely hate. It sounds exhausting.

I was always told growing up that there will be things you like and dislike about your job, but you should never pick a job that you hate just to continue doing it for the money. I believe that's true. I believe everyone should pursue something they truly love. Don't live for others.