Life life while you're young

We're All Still Young, It's OK To Not Have Everything Figured Out

Enjoy life for what it is, even if it has flaws.

125
Hannah Westphal

The idea of "adulting" sounds absolutely dreadful to anyone you ask - paying bills, getting a real job, starting a family and so on. Within the next few years, those are things that several of my peers and I are going to think about and the reality of that is hard hitting for many people. Even freshmen in college are starting to looking at apartments and future living situations which brings enough stress in itself. Ultimately though, everything has a funny way of coming together even if it's not what we initially planned.

When I was in high school, a lot of my friends originally planned to go to college, it was the typical expectation of students our age from where we were from. As Decision Day came around though, everyone's plans had minor or major changes to them than from when they were conceptualized. Some stayed home and went to community college, some worked, some enlisted, and some went away to school. The following year, things began to change even more. Nonetheless, though, we all supported each other's endeavors and applauded each other every step of the way.

When I got to college, the same thing held true. Some of the friends I had met early on dropped out, transferred or ended up staying another year; all happening without expecting any of it. No one truly knew who or where we would be on the first and last day of school, but we had a rough idea of what we wanted to do and we just rolled with the flow otherwise. Truthfully that's all we could do.

So often, we forget that we are just barely young adults. Kids today seem to have a different grasp on the stress that comes with growing up. Perhaps it's not our fault, as the world has a more competitive nature to it now, and our parents just want to see us succeed amongst the chaos. At the same time though, it's as if we stress and worry about things that will be resolved within a week. It is this very stress thought that holds our mind captive and prevents it from being open-minded to new possibilities.

They say that tomorrow isn't promised, and that's completely true - not - not even the next minute is promised. Likewise, nothing is promised from it either. It is impossible to know exactly what will happen to you that day without allowing room for some error. Sure we can have a rough outline of what we will do, but different cosmic interactions are coming together ever second to form the algorithm of our day's code. With that in mind, wouldn't it just be better to embrace every moment as is?

There's really no telling what can happen to us and equally no point in trying to manipulate the outcome of our lives. It takes less energy to welcome our futures with the flaws it will have than to worry about perfecting them. If everything happens for a reason, then everything happens to everyone for a reason. The universe already has a path for us waiting specifically designed for our growth of character and knowledge. Besides, we're all just young and naive to assume that we need to have everything figured out at this very instant. In an age of instant knowledge, having everything figured out is something that takes time.

At the end of the day, everything really does have a way of working itself out; to our benefit too. It takes lots of time and patience to become content with where we are. At the same time, it takes a lot of waiting to see where our lives will take us. Think about it; up to this moment, did you ever imagine your life working out the way it did?