Do Not Live Your Life For the "Likes"

Do Not Live Your Life For the "Likes"

Do not be afraid of sharing who you really are based on how it affects your popularity on social media.

285
Do Not Live Your Life For the "Likes"

Why social media is crippling the simple joys of life and individuality.

Let me paint you a picture of the millennial generation worth a thousand words, a picture that will not be found on any Instagram or other social media account.

It is a late July afternoon. I have just clocked out of my day camp job and sped off down the highway to pick up a friend so we can get a hike in before the beautiful summer day comes to a close. For the sake of confidentiality, let’s call this friend Farrah.

Upon picking up Farrah, I notice that along with her hiking bag are a few separate plastic bags overflowing with ribbons and bright fabric. The hike we are about to embark on is a very popular one that is an exquisite tourist magnet due to its waterfall. Knowing the inclined nature of the trail, I can’t help but ask why Farrah has brought bags beyond the necessary hiking backpack.

To this, Farrah replied, “I brought a flower crown and a skirt to throw on for pictures in front of the falls! I want some good pictures for Instagram.”

I find this laughable, and to some degree, understandable. I too enjoy having aesthetically pleasing pictures on my Instagram account. Don’t we all take pleasure in posting pictures that make our lives look exceedingly charming and enchanted?

Pictures that will earn us that “like,” thus alerting us of approval from our followers. These followers are often made up of close friends, acquaintances, and in many cases, strangers. The higher the number of likes, the better. The more people approve of a snapshot of our lives that we choose to share, the more we are sure that we are living life right; our lives are worth living.

It is not until we reach our destination of the falls that my disgust completely and totally consumes my being. My faces is flushed and glistening with beaded sweat, appropriately so after walking in the July heat to our destination. I wipe the tears of perspiration off my brow, thankful I didn’t wear make-up. As I stop to regain my breath, Farrah has already dashed to the rock of which she feels will place her and the waterfall in the camera’s frame in the most complimentary way.

Already she is throwing a crop top over her sports bra, as well as a bohemian skirt, which most likely is priced at an amount much higher than was used towards its manufacturing. Last piece donned by her to complete the image of a trendy, free spirited millennial, is a flower crown, made from artificial hydrangeas. It is not until the placing of the flower crown on her head that I realize she was hiking with a full face of makeup. It is in this moment that I discovered Farrah came prepared to revolve the whole hiking and nature experience around documenting herself and the scenery in such a way that would gain her popularity on Instagram.

Due to having a long car ride back home together, I choose not to breathe a word of my revelation to Farrah. I instead take pictures of her in front of the falls dressed as a less attractive model for Urban Outfitters. The scene rightfully looks absurd as it is.

Relieved that duties of photographer are over, I prepare to go swimming in the soothingly sapphire swimming hole beneath the falls. I invite Farrah to join me. To this she replies “I’d love to! Do you mind getting some pictures of me in the water with my flower crown?” I am torn betweening throwing up from her request and slamming my head hard enough into one of the near by rocks so I can take pleasure in unconsciousness.

Does anyone who will look at these photos later really believe that people go swimming with flower crowns? Is that not the most ridiculously unnatural image one could look at? I personally found it to be incredibly unrealistic that someone would go swimming with such an accessory, or any fashion accessory at all for that matter. However, Instagram’s population of users proved me wrong when about fifty people liked that photo later in the evening along with Farrah’s hashtags of “#naturelove,” “#naturehippie” and “#flowerchild.”

Farrah, like many others, tries to make their lives seem a certain way through social media. They try to paint their lives in a way that pleases others, gaining their account followers and their pictures “likes”.

However, trying to make one’s life appear a way it is not results in the Farrahs of the world missing out on the the sacred simplicities that cannot be photographed. I posted one photo of the falls that day, my face absent from the frame. I will remember how the water let the sunlight dance across its ripples before Farrah fake swam in her artificial flower crown for a staged picture. I will remember swimming and not enjoying the iciness of the water but being grateful to be close enough to the falls to see where the violent rapids blend effortlessly and naturally into the rest of the swimming hole, until it finally ends it journey and becomes part of the stillness of the shore.

I will also remember my disgust at Farrah for being so preoccupied with getting the perfectly insincere photo. What will Farrah remember besides her preoccupation with getting another beautiful set picture to add to her instagram?

Farrah, like many, has a “themed” Instagram full of hiking pictures. This a result of her hiking pictures, that she once took occasionally, receiving more attention than pictures of just herself or her interests. This leads me to ask, does Farrah even enjoy hiking beyond receiving the acceptance of others through “likes” and double taps on Instagram and other social media outlets? Does she enjoy the earth; it’s noises, animals, and cycles? She once posted of popular classic literature and popular brews of beer before finding that hiking and the pictures of the scenery from her hikes gained her more attention from others. Are our personalities becoming the same because we all want approval on social media? Do we all depend on validation from others?

Do we not all take pictures when we go on a Chipotle run, take pictures of the new Naked Urban Decay pallette that every other make-up lover wants? We are losing individuality by trying to make our lives seem a certain way to others to gain their approval. We are living our life for the “likes”. We are trying to please people who have no say or affect in our lives. Yet somehow, we let numbers of followers and “likes” define our self worth and what we choose to share to the world. This often results in millions sharing posts that are not very unique from one another at all. It is all an illusion. We are all becoming delusional.

I am not perfect. I am judgemental for these observations, true. I have staged ridiculous poses on top of mountains to make it seem like I adventure more often than I do. I vow to change though, and I hope all you Farrah's do too. I vow to live and not worry if my lifestyle gains me attention from others on social media. I vow to live genuinely and never hide the sweat and struggle that sometimes are part of the joys of life, such as hiking, working, learning, etc. Not all is effortlessly glamorous with great views and flower crowns.Do not be ashamed of your individuality and struggle. Do not be afraid of sharing who you really are based on how it affects your popularity on social media. Do not live your life for the “likes”.