Live Life For Yourself, Never For Anyone Else

If something doesn't make you happy, why do it?
182

There's something our generation knows all too well. It's called "FOMO," and it stands for the "fear of missing out."

While everyone lives college differently, there's really only one way to live it. And that's for yourself.

Maybe one night you find yourself content with staying in. Classes are getting overwhelming, your body is run down and your favorite Netflix show is calling your name. As the night progresses, people post Snapchat stories of their wild night and text you the details of everything. Just an hour or two ago you were so relaxed, and basically overjoyed, to be staying in. Now, you're filled with dread that you missed out on a good time. So what changed? Why do we let others control us so much?

Don't go out hoping to see the cute boy down the hall. Don't go out expecting to meet the love of your life. Don't go out because you don't want to seem lame (as if wanting the comfort of your bed is lame).

So many people go out because they genuinely enjoy going out, listening to music and meeting new people. But so many people also enjoy staying in because they want to relax and recharge. And it's OK to be one way this weekend and a different way the next. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

If it's been a long week and you're in the mood to do something, that's when you should get up and get dressed to go out. Not when said boy texts you, not when your friends have to drag you out of bed, and not when you feel as though you have to prove something to someone. If you go out simply because you feel like you have to, chances are you'll end up regretting it or going home early.

Of course, I've been applying this concept to college life because it's most applicable to my and my friend's lives, but this saying goes for every stage of life.

And yes, there have been times when I thought about staying in, but ended up going out and having the time of my life. But I got ready for myself. I went out for myself.

With May quickly approaching, graduation season is right around the corner. I know some girls who are graduating and have heard some pieces of advice over these last few weeks. One of the main ideas that I got from each person was essentially to live life for yourself. College apparently goes by in the blink of an eye, but so does the rest of life.