Live It Up: Freshman Year

Live It Up: Freshman Year

A Review of my Freshman Year

4
Live It Up: Freshman Year
UVa-Wise

As I sit in my bed, two weeks left of my freshman year, I recount all of the amazing things that have happened over the past 10 months; the memories are incredible and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

I attended my first Student Leadership Awards Banquet (SLAB) last night. I had so much fun and I was surrounded by people that have quickly became friends since move in day on August 16, 2015. People were being recognized for all of their hard work and determination throughout the year; student leaders are the students who make contributions to the university through community service, academics, or being involved with a campus club/organization.

The night was bittersweet as it caused me to recount on my entire freshman year, from carrying heavy boxes into Commonwealth Hall to walking to freshman seminar every Monday. My freshman year has been awesome.

I have met some very inspiring people this year, people who are killing college not only in the conventional way but in the way that makes an impact on people's lives. Two of these people were the teacher assistants in my freshman seminar class, I know that if I ever have a question I can message them and they will either have the answer or be ready to find it for me. They are amazing and I can see only the best things for their future.

The other people have made contributions without really realizing it; there are people on this campus who I look up to and who I aspire to be as an undergraduate student. They just don't really know that I look up to them.

Besides the role models, I have made friends here at UVa-Wise that quickly became family. We joke and play but also know when it's time to get serious. We hike long distances to see waterfalls and we have 'family dinner' whenever we're all together. I am really going to miss them over the summer, but I know that once we come back it will all go back to how it is now.

I have been given so many amazing opportunities this year not only with meeting new people but also with getting involved on campus! This semester I was appointed as a freshman senator on the Student Government Association, getting to spend a few minutes with successful people every Friday puts into perspective what we're at University for, to succeed. The Student Government Association here at Wise is much like a small family, I can hope that I am a sophomore senator next year.

Next Saturday I will be attending Remote Area Medical as a volunteer! I am so excited for this as well. Getting to help those who can't necessarily afford medical care is such a blessing; I can't wait until then.

The other clubs and organizations that I have been a part of this year have also helped me grow as a freshman, Resident Hall Association, Student Activity Board, The Pre-Professionals Club, and even writing for The Odyssey have given perspective on things like time-management, success tools for conquering classes, and even helping make the residence hall life more enjoyable. I am excited to return for my sophomore year and become even more involved as I will be adding Resident Advisor to the list!

I try to have a message in all of my articles, and this weeks is for all incoming college freshman. Live it up! Take all of the opportunities that are given to you, study for your classes because you can't pass in college without studying, help someone in need, compliment someone that you don't know. Make your freshman year at university one that you will miss!

Trust me, I mean this with all sincerity. Your freshman year has the chance to be your most memorable year and you have the power to make it everything that it can be. I have heard, on many occasions, people say that they miss their freshman year. So miss your freshman year in the best way possible.

Sincerely,
Next year's sophomore class