How To Live Your Best Life
Lifestyles

10 Ways To Stop Stressing Over Little Things And Start Living Your Best Life

It's always cool to keep your cool.

246
Stocksnap.io

All too often, we get caught up in the bad things in life. We stress over work, school and relationships. I often find myself upset by the smallest things, things that shouldn't bother me at all. It's important to stay positive in times of trial, but what about in our daily lives? There are steps we can take to maintain positivity and live our lives to the fullest. Here are a few:

1. Be present in every moment.

Photo by Unsplash

If you focus all of your energy on the current moment, rather than allowing your mind to wander, you will instantly worry less. This will turn you into a better listener and foster growth in your relationships. People will naturally enjoy being with someone who listens, engages in conversation and spends quality time with them. Do not cheat your friends and family out of their time by being withdrawn from the present.

2. Figure out your weaknesses.

Photo by Redd Angelo on Unsplash

We all have things that we are not the best at. Maybe you worry about tiny things that are out of your control or you are bad at taking advice. Ask a trusted friend or family member which areas of your life could use improvement. Once you know, you can accept the faults and take the first steps toward fixing them.

3. Read more!

Kaboom Pics

This one is so simple. Set a reading goal per week or per month. I have caught myself making excuses for myself saying, "I don't have time to read." But I do. The time I spend watching TV or browsing Instagram could be spent reading a book. Knowledge does not sprout on its own — you must nourish it and it will grow. Become an avid reader and watch your wisdom expand and your mood improve.

4. Give extra and you will get extra.

Photo by Tim Bogdanov on Unsplash

This is a cliché (and I hate clichés so much) but it is still so important to remember. The attitude and effort you give today will affect your life in the future. Keep in mind that you are working towards your life goal every day. In the end, what you have made for yourself is a culmination of all of the effort you have given in the past. Be sure not to cheat yourself.

5. Sweat it out. Be active.

Photo by Matthew Kane on Unsplash

Ever heard of endorphins? They are this super cool chemical that your brain releases when you reach a certain point during exercising. They make you feel oh-so-good and keep you from stressing over little things that won't matter in a couple days. If your body is healthy, your mind will often follow.

6. Remain healthy by eating healthy.

Photo by Artur Rutkowski on Unsplash

Being the best version of yourself begins with eating your best. When you fill your body with the best foods for you, you will feel better all day. Your energy will be higher and your mood will improve, decreasing stress and worry. A good rule of thumb is to refrain from eating any processed foods. Try packing your lunch for work.

7. Learn to appreciate.

Photo by Mike Enerio on Unsplash

Watch the sunset, sip your coffee more slowly, go for walks, pick flowers or unplug for a day. By simply being mindful of how you spend your time, you will train yourself to appreciate the great things in your life.

8. Spend time with your grandparents.

Photo by Goodstock

Grandparents always have the best advice and stories. To learn about life, it is wise to spend time with the people that have the most experience at it. Listening to their wisdom will give you the chance to learn new things through their mistakes and successes.

9. Don't worry about the future.

Photo by Michael Fertig

It is incredibly important to plan for the future, but constantly worrying about what it holds for us only works against our goals. Stop worrying about tomorrow and treat today as if it is the most important day of your life.

10. Go to bed and wake up early.

Photo by Aphiwat Chuangchoem

Going to bed early allows you to get the extra sleep you need to jumpstart the next morning. When you wake up early, you get to live more during that day. Don't you want to live more?

Putting these habits and rituals into practice will allow you to prevent blow-ups and breakdowns in the future. It will become second nature to remain present, patient and positive. Take a step back, appreciate and keep your cool.

Inspiration for this article was drawn from Richard Carlson's book "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff for Teens."