'Little Fires Everywhere' By Celeste Ng Has To Be Your Next Summer Read

Pick up "Little Fires Everywhere" this summer. You won't regret it.

10

"To say I love this book is an understatement. It's a deep psychological mystery about the power of motherhood, the intensity of teenage love, and the danger of perfection. It moved me to tears." —Reese Witherspoon

"Little Fires Everywhere" explores the relationship of the picture-perfect Richardson family and the mother-daughter duo that upend their lives. Shaker Heights is a suburb in Cleveland where everything is picturesque. Everything is planned. The layout, the lives of the residents, and the rules of this suburb guide the residents' principles.

Shaker Heights is like a placid bubble from the chaos of the outside world. Mia Warren, a single mother and artist, enters this idyllic town with her teenage daughter Pearl. They rent a house from the Richardson's and soon they become more than just tenants.

All four of the Richardson children are drawn to this pair, but Mia has secrets that threaten to blow up the community. When family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese American baby, a custody battle erupts and splits half the town. This battle puts Mia and Elena Richardson on opposing sides.

Elena suspects Mia and makes it her mission to reveal the secrets of Mia's past. Her obsession brings unintended and devastating consequences. This novel explores the heavyweight of secrets, the nature of identity, the powerful pull of motherhood, and the danger that following the rules offers protection from danger.

The Hulu Original based on the book is Emmy nominated with a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Starring the powerful actresses Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington, this series has a wonderful cast that portrays the characters in the novel truthfully. This is another Hello Sunshine Book Club pick and a piece that was produced by Reese Witherspoon.

Although different, the adaptation is worth the watch and is very binge-able. The series ends where the book ends, so it is only eight episodes. If you're looking for a book or show to watch this summer that is entertaining and thought-provoking, I definitely recommend "Little Fires Everywhere".