To My Little Brother On His Graduation Day, You Did It

I am so beyond proud of everything you are and everything you will be.

289
Maddie Hinojosa

An open letter to my little brother, on his graduation day:

Michael,

As much as I knew this day would happen, I am still in disbelief that eighteen years came and went so fast. In my head, you'll always be my little brother, running around the backyard, having chocolate smeared on your face, or curled up on the couch with your favorite video game.

It's hard for me to grasp that you've so quickly become this amazing young man, who is wise beyond his years, even wiser than my years. From your first day of senior year, I have been both dreading and anticipating this day.

You finally did it. Four years became one year, one year became one month, and one month became one day all too quickly. You're now moments away from crossing the stage, getting your diploma, and entering the real world.

Before you enter this "real world" however, there are a few things I want you to know.

1. I am so beyond proud of you.

You are an incredible person, an even better brother, and my best friend in the entire world. There is not a single day that I don't tell somebody how great I think you are, and I will always be your biggest fan.

2. I want you to know that you can do this.

College is hard, but it's nothing you can't handle. Being on your own is scary, but exciting, and I know you will handle it with the grace and strength that you have used every day of your life.

3. Stay true to yourself, but don't be afraid of the changes you'll experience.

Always be yourself, but remember college is a time to grow and change, and become the person you were always destined to be.

I'm definitely still crying that you're growing up so fast, as I have been for an entire year now, but only because I love you more than words, and I am so in awe of the person you are and the person I know you'll become.

Congratulations, you did it! Here's to the next chapter of your life!!