Kafka's "The Metamorphosis," From A Writer's Point of View

A literature classic.

476

Many readers of Franz Kafka’s novella, "The Metamorphosis," dispute over whether the main character Gregor Samsa actually suffers through the metamorphosis a bug undergoes or if he suffers from a severe mental illness. Assuming that Gregor is suffering through a mental illness, readers could infer that he would’ve gotten better treatment with today’s understanding of mental health care versus Gregor’s time period.

Mental illnesses back in the 1800s and even earlier were looked at as unacceptable. People were looked up as “lunatics” and were thought to be possessed by Satan. Gregor’s family reacts similarly to his illness. Kafka writes, “With a hostile expression his father clenched his fist, as if to drive Gregor back into his room.” The quote gives a fuller understanding of the disappointment that comes along with Gregor’s illness.

Procedures for mental illnesses during Gregor’s time included electroshock therapy, orbital lobotomies (the drilling of an object that looks like a pencil into the frontal lobe of the patient’s brain), and the chaining up of patients to hose them down with cold water. Gregor’s family locks him up and refuses to be around him due to the fear and anger that their own child has become like a “lunatic.”

In today’s society, many people are prescribed medications and therapy sessions for mental illness. People who suffer from these illnesses are often pitied rather than tortured. According to National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), one in four Americans per year experience a type of mental illness, but it is very targeting on the youth. A leading cause of it can be stress, which could’ve been Gregor’s main problem.

Gregor deceives the reader by conveying himself as a hardworking person who is the main supporter of his family, but later in the story turns out to be a rather bad employee. Although he is a bad employee, Gregor still has to support his family which could’ve put lots of stress on him. The root of Gregor’s illness is that he overworks himself both mentally and physically. When he becomes ill, his family locks him in his room and forbids him from coming out. Kafka writes, “His room, a regular human room, only a little on the small side, lay quiet between the four familiar walls.” The quote emphasizes Gregor’s time in his room grew, and it makes his room seem smaller. Gregor being locked in his room could also be a factor of why the illness becomes worse.

Gregor’s relationship with his father becomes even worse when the illness makes its first appearance. His father neglects him and displays shame towards him. Gregor’s relationship with his father today would be looked down upon, and Gregor could seek therapy and be removed from the abusive life he leads because of his father. His family then socially declines after his transformation because of the strain it puts on the family.

Gregor’s mental illness would be treated very differently today than his family treated it back then. He could seek therapy and not be ashamed of his problems, for many other people out there suffer just as Gregor does. He encounters his problems alone versus with the help of a therapist and a counselor. Therefore, Gregor accepts his illness without questioning it. His family is repulsed at his illness and they shut him out. Gregor would be more accepted into today’s society because of the fuller understanding of illnesses. Gregor’s sister Grete makes effort to keep her relationship with her brother the same, but he can no longer provide for his family and falls into more of an ill state day by day.

Gregor’s family is not burdened by his death, which makes it possible for him to die in peace. They go out for a walk the day of his death, showing they have little concern about him. The family becomes tired of caring for Gregor, so without Gregor a huge weight is lifted off their shoulders. Today, families mourn death by mental illness more than they did in Gregor’s time. His situation shows the difference in society’s attitude towards certain kinds of illnesses versus the technological advancement that today’s world has.

In conclusion, although it is debated that Gregor undergoes the metamorphosis of a bug, a mental illness could have affected him. There were many different factors leading to the thought that Gregor was insane, but in a different time period, Gregor could’ve had a happier ending and some answers. Carrying the workload of supporting his family, Gregor becomes financially and mentally stressed. Mental illnesses are treated very differently today than they used to be. Instead of dying, Gregor would be exposed to all of the different forms of help and attention that is open to people suffering from mental illnesses. There are scanned tests to prove someone is ill versus a guessed diagnosis. In the end, there are many factors that lead to show that Gregor has a mental illness, but with the difference in technological advance in mental illness, he stood no chance. Gregor would be looked at as normal today, considering many people go through mental issues. Sometimes it is wondered though, what would’ve happened to Gregor in today's society.