To Start A 'Favorites' Series, Here Are My 9 Favorite Movies

After a request from my college best friend, here's one of my many, many "favorites" lists - lists I created to help with anxiety and control struggles.

130

At face value, a movie ranking is one of the best ways to connect with like-minded peers and unwind through the infinite and diverse universe of cinema. Ranking my favorite movies gives me pleasure as I look back on some great displays of art, talent, and, when applicable, literary interpretation. This practice of organizing and distinguishing boundaries creates a different kind of satisfaction, too, though.

You see, I tend to have control issues. I feel like I have to control every aspect of my life or else I will "what if" myself into a rigid coma of anxiety. Oftentimes, for example, I'm in bed, thinking I'm comfortable and ready to drift off into a relaxing slumber, when I realize my muscles are still quitetense. Thereafter, I realized that such tension became normal for me; my state of natural relaxation was simply a distracted version of "on-edge", and I suppose I had just grown used to it. Who knows where that originated, but here we are.

As I understood the extent of my unsatisfied quest for structure, I also understood that it was unhealthy to obsess over variables of life that I will never have the freedom to manipulate. So, to better understand myself and celebrate the things I like, I started compiling lists of my favorite...everything, to the point where my brother now says "THE LIST!!!!" any time I preface something with "Oh that's my Xth favorite [insert any category here]."

One of my best friends and fellow Odyssey writers, Eleni, suggested to me that I share these lists with readers and friends online. She said it makes her happy to see me have such specific and thought-out passions in so many areas of life. I never thought of it that way; I love my lists, but I always viewed them as a byproduct of an unhealthy obsession with the self rather than a tangible expression of adoration and passion for different segments of my life.

Therefore, I've decided to make a little series out of my favorites lists. Each month, I'm going to share one of my lists and explain why I chose the items on it. I hope you enjoy learning about me, and I especially hope that you check out my list items - maybe they'll pop up on your own lists! Movies? Foods? Holidays? You name it.

Actually, don't - I'll take control of that one. Oh crap! I mean... I'll help you out. (Does that sound better? Whatever. Let's just ignore this happened and get to the movies.)

1. Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Moulin rouge, Pigalle, Paris, France

Lola Delabays

Ah, Moulin Rouge... I have seen this movie five times now, and I honestly can't wait for the sixth. Starring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, this cinematic masterpiece is the embodiment of the heart-wrenching endeavors of 19th Century Bohemians.

These people were the underdogs of the underground. They challenged the society of the time and wanted to follow their hearts, a sentiment I relate to. The tagline of the movie is in line with this movement: "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." How lovely is that?

Typically, I can't stand romance movies, but this one is different. It is theatrical and melodic in a way that I've never seen any movie do. The music is phenomenal and the actors are fully immersed in their story. It's bizarre in its own way, as seen in the character of the Moon who sings operatically at various points in the film. When I roped in one of my best friend's, Emily, to watch the movie with me, she said "Did I take acid and I just don't remember?" when we got to this scene. Of course she was kidding, but the elements of the movie tend to elicit a fever-dream aesthetic, and I mean that in the best way possible.

As icing on an already delicious cake, the soundtrack to Moulin Rouge was used in a legendary gold-medal skate by my favorite Olympic ice dancing duo, Canada's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir.

Favorite song/scene: The blend of two songs and the i n t e n s e emotion in El Tange De Roxanne. (Trigger warning: someone attempts sexual assault but isn't successful).

2.A Clockwork Orange (1971)

An eye

Nathan DeFiesta

A Clockwork Orange was a fascinatingly grotesque feat of Stanley Kubrick's cinematic genius. This story was first told in Anthony Burgess's novel, written in 1962, which I read over the summer as a result of my admiration for the movie. The story is heartbreaking, but it really makes one think about their reality and what reality could be. I wouldn't consider myself a nihilist, but the story of the main character's catastrophic actions and the events that ensue lead one to examine what is and isn't natural or real in our brief journey through the world.

The author himself confesses that the actions of his manufactured friend, in some ways, represent the unspoken thoughts of his own brain. In the context of the era, both the book and the movie were appallingly taboo. Talking about therapy or depression was frowned upon at this time, so Burgess confessing that our actions and thoughts are sometimes at war with one another and then Kubrick showing what our thoughts mean was groundbreaking. But I don't disagree with the sentiment. Humanity is timeless; it is our societies that change to whatever we deem is acceptable at the time.

Don't we all think things we would never dream of doing in "real life"? But what is real life? Isn't it only what we perceive it to be?

These breaks from existence are why I love this story so much, and the way Kubrick lays the story out is bliss to the eyes. The strong use of color in the film, the animation of the characters, the details unique to each frame, and the accuracy of the novel's themes wrap these 2 hours into a beautiful package of ugliness made pretty.

3. Jesus Christ Superstar (1970)

A sculpture of Jesus in Amsterdam, Holland

Alessandro Bellone

This one is pretty simple. As a Christian, this examination into Jesus's life one week before his crucifixion both breaks and mends my heart. Put this to the tune of Andrew Lloyd Webber's angelic sounds, and I've got myself a third favorite movie. This film sets the trend that I found in this list of favorites. Given that 3 of my 9 favorite movies are rock operas, I guess it's pretty safe to say that I love them! Additionally, almost all of them are centered around music, although this statistic is less surprising. Music is the foundation of my life in many ways, resting on my faith in Jesus.

Looking past the plot, this movie is executed so well. I love seeing the age in the film. For example, there's a scene where Jesus and the Apostles are loading a bus (a hippie bus, right in line with the 1960s), and their fashion is the perfect display of 1970s couture. Most of the film stays historically accurate in the wardrobe department, though, but I'm of the opinion that these anachronistic segments make the movie that much better.

Favorite song: Judas's "Heaven on Their Minds."

4. Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

A cemetery scene

Wendy Scofield

Taking place in 2056, this rock opera is a break from the real world in an exhilarating and mystifying way. Apparently, this film was about as much of a flop as it gets in theaters, bringing in $188,000 at the box office against a $8.5 million budget.

I love the incorporation of goth into the mainstream through this movie. The characters are mysterious and captivating, and the story is a dystopian delight. I've only seen it once, but the fact that it landed this high on the list on its first try is a testament to how fantastic it is, in my opinion. Oh, and it has Paris Hilton in it, as if it couldn't get more confusing.

Favorite song: Zydrate Anatomy

5. Tommy (1975)

A pinball machine at EightyTwo in Los Angeles, California

Julian Lozano

I guess I love the '70s huh? There was a lot of political tension in the world, and I suppose people found their outlet through cinema, which I abundantly respect.

This film, based on The Who's rock opera from 1969, is a beautifully elaborate movie taking one through many roller coasters of emotional baggage and artistic intimacy. The music is spectacular, of course, and the actors are idiosyncratic in a way that makes me want to spend all day watching them. Ann-Margaret's voice is what originally captivated my attention to the story, and I'm glad it did. But the story is remarkable on its own without the musical brilliance.

A tale of trauma, disability, and social abandonment, Tommy is a victim of the times. The expression is beyond what I think human brains are supposed to be allowed to understand; The Who and the creators of this film tapped into an other-worldly storage of art and imagination.

Not to mention, this rock opera is where we get Elton John's famous "Pinball Wizard." He is also the shoe wizard.

Favorite song: Cousin Kevin. Funnily enough, many fans relate this character to Alex from A Clockwork Orange.

6. Donnie Darko (2001)

A creepy bunny in a window in Vancouver, British Columbia

Ksenia Makagonova

2001 brought two great things into this world: Me and Donnie Darko. I'm joking, but this movie is seriously great. This is one of the first movies my boyfriend and I watched together, and one of the few that we both really love. Psychological thriller is my favorite movie genre (aside from rock operas, apparently), and I think this rabbit-ridden movie is one of the best in the genre.

The eerie and all-encompassing feeling of "what the hell am I watching?" makes me feel euphoric more than confused. The fact that the creators had the power to make me question everything I was viewing without feeling bored or angry with them takes talent and a certain level of disturbance that is a sure way to get your movie on my list. Here you go, Donnie Darko.

I suppose this adds to my list (list, lol) of reasons that nihilism is appealing in a way. If it is true that our brains are impossible of accruing true knowledge and that our morality is fiction, it makes sense that a movie like this elicits the response it does. It latches on to our destructive mental entropy and makes us realize it, which is in many ways uncomfortable. In this way, the personal experience the movie engenders is just as praise-worthy as the execution of the film, itself.

7. Queen of the Damned (2002)

A vampire

Dylan Sauerwein

This movie is one of the many many parts of my life that make me wonder why it took me so long to realize and embrace my place in the goth community. Not that this movie in goth, but the songs and themes in it would have easily encouraged me to figure out what goth is much sooner than I did.

Anyway, this movie, based on one of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles books, is a spectacular story of fame, music, and, of course, vampirism. The music is captivating and crucial to the story. My parents had the CD of the soundtrack, and we listened to it all the time on road trips. Consequently, the music of this movie had a powerful effect on my life and my proclivities for music. (I'm even wearing a Korn T-shirt as I write this).

Once I was old enough to watch the movie, everything else fell into place. The beautiful vampire queen, the captivating vampire leader, and everyone else make up a cast of illustrious individuals in an influential film in my life.

8. Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Queen CDs

Brett Jordan

As you'll find out in another list, Mr. Robot is one of my favorite TV shows. This show stars Rami Malek, who plays the iconic Freddie Mercury in this movie about the bold and revolutionary life he led. Candidly, I did not know much about Queen, but I respected their music for its innovation and objective talent. But when one of my best friends, Becky, who also introduced me to Mr. Robot, said we should watch Bohemian Rhapsody together, I was excited to dive into more music-based movies.

Simply put, it was phenomenal - though I'm told it only scratches the surface of the enigma that is Freddie Mercury. Malek's performance, the story, the music, the fun, the movie! It is truly one of a kind. Seriously though, Malek's performance was insanely good. Check out this side-by-side comparison of Queen's Live Aid set and Malek's mimicry for the movie's Live Aid scene. Every motion and prop is intentional and almost everything is perfectly synchronized. He deserved every ounce of his Oscar.

When I got to watch this movie again with my brother while a cruise ship's departure was delayed six hours, I had a second chance to witness the majesty of the film and her majesty, Queen.

9. School of Rock (2003)

A school classroom

Feliphe Schiarolli

Sometimes I wonder if this movie is the reason I wanted to play an instrument. This was a family favorite in the Barber-Johnson household, and we watched it often. Jack Black deserves a title surpassing that of "actor," for he is so much more than that. I loved watching him in this film, and I loved everything the movie stood for. Sticking it to the man, expressing your feelings, listening to the wisdom of kids, pushing through struggles, and so many other lessons are present in the content of this movie. I will forever cherish the nostalgia and joy it brings me.

I hope you loved this list, and I hope you learned something. I look forward to sharing the next one with you! It will be all about my favorite holidays.

Until next time! -Gabby B.