A List On Why I'm Tired Of Doing Lists

A List On Why I'm Tired Of Doing Lists

Shall I list the ways I hate thee?

35
A List On Why I'm Tired Of Doing Lists
Tumblr

When it comes to originality, there are fine, blurry, undefined lines that some can cross and others cannot. It is difficult when doing something that has been done, to make it your own and make it OK. Take celebrity photographer Tyler Shields for example. He is under fire for the similarity of his photos (that sell for obscene amounts of money) and other famous and well-known shots, done in previous years by various artists. Some could call it creative inspiration, others could say he is outright stealing the content. I think it was Picasso who said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal." I mention this because there is also speculation that Picasso "stole" this quote himself. Yet, he is cited as the author on several different accounts. Does what he said ring true? I could argue it for days. But, I digress. Here is a list (my final) of 12 reasons I'm tired of doing lists.

1. Redundancy is deplorable.

We are all guilty of it. It is hard to not repeat yourself, especially when you are trying to get a point across. Lists take on this characteristic a lot, and I think it is something good writers should strive to step away from.

2. Coming up with 10 things is either too easy or too hard.

I think my idea is great. I sit in front of my laptop, excitedly rubbing my hands together (in a Gucci Mane-like manor). I type out my introduction and...nothing.

3. They remind me of horoscopes.

If I want to make a list that will do well and ring true in the hearts of many, I have to make them applicable to many. Enter, the Barnum effect. If I concentrate on making articles that will apply to everybody I'm doing something that's already been done. It is successful, but then I end up not really agreeing with everything I write. I don't want that.

4. GIFs take up way too much space on my tablet memory.

Doing a list the right way requires the use of quirky GIF images that stand as a comical helper of sorts. 2 GB RAM does not allow that if I'm expected to catch-up on seasons of "Vampire Diaries" and "Jessica Jones."

5. I don't have the same experiences or interests as most people.

I do not like writing for audiences that I do not understand (if you glance at #3 you will find this is redundant...oops). I never watched "Sex in the City," never read a Nicholas Sparks, and have never been to Florida on vacation. To name a few. I'll grow out of it, but until then...

6. If I made more lists, they would all end up being fashion related.

When trying to be original, I always revert back to what I know, and what I know is fashion. I wouldn't dare bore anyone with my excessive knowledge of clothing or my opinions about Kylie and Kendall Jenners' new line at Tilly's.

7. They don't invoke deep thought or emotion.

Some make you hmm, others make you haw, but usually they never make you cry. There is no substance gained. You don't feel fuller after reading a list named "19 Things New Girl Taught Me About Adulthood." You just don't.

8. They only tell half of a story.

You're bound to miss something when limited to a list.

9. There's no way to know if your readers actually finished the list.

Americans are quite lazy. Why write a list of 10 when your readers will statistically read about four?

10.

Just like this missing lead, some lists lack substance. And not every bullet point is relative or interesting. I want to rivet my viewers from the top of the page to the bottom.

11. Sometimes my points won't fit in a list less than 20.

I am known to be a long-winded and loquacious writer (there goes that redundancy again) And like #9 states, not many people are going to read a list of ten items, much less twenty.

12. I don't like it when they end on odd numbers.

It irks me. Whatevs.

**DISCLAIMER: this article was for pure entertainment. Writing lists is not my favorite mode of media, and I do plan to shrink the amount a write, but I also enjoy reading good lists myself. I'm not knocking anyone who writes lists a lot themselves. Though, I do encourage everyone to step out of their comfort zone and attempt to write something in-depth, even if going deep isn't your thing. You may surprise yourself.