The New Light Pollution: Humans

The New Light Pollution: Humans

Stars can't shine without darkness... no, but actually.

4
The New Light Pollution: Humans
Sarah Ferguson

Light pollution: it's an issue. If you're from a big city, you know what I'm talking about. Light pollution is defined as, "the brightening of the night sky caused by street lights and other man-made sources, which has a disruptive effect on natural cycles and inhibits the observation of stars and planets." It not only hinders our view of the universe, but messes with our sleep patterns and has even been proven to decrease the firefly population. Being from Temple, TX, I didn't realize this was such an issue. Not being able to see the stars at night sounds terrible to me. I was discussing this with two friends while lying on our backs staring at the sky, and it got me thinking. People are sometimes light pollution. We pollute the sky; we try so hard to shine brightly that we interrupt the magnificent view of God's creation. Stick with me here.

I know this sounds contradictory, since we as Christians are told to 'be lights in this dark and hurting world', which I whole-heartedly believe in. Sometimes, though, I think we attempt to do that in our own power, with our own strength, and for our own glory. When we do that, we are missing the point. By standing under a spotlight, we make it harder for others to shine, and worse, for the Lord to shine. We are literally nothing...not even a speck of dust...under a rug...in an abandoned building...without Jesus. So tell me, on what grounds do we deserve to stand in the way of the Work of God's hands?

It would be fair to say, "But we are also the Work of God's hands." To which I would say, "You're right!" You were woven together in your mother's womb (Psalm 139:13), wonderfully and fearfully made (Psalm 139:14), as God's workmanship (Ephesians 2:10), in His image (Genesis 1:27). So yes, you most certainly are. But it's not all about us...miracles and mountains and sunsets don't fight for attention. People fight for attention. Stars don't beg to be looked at, we look at them because they are captivating.

We are so busy dirtying the air with our own desires, our own plans, our own luminosity, that we can miss what lies heavenward. Don't.