Life's Simple Pleasures

Life's Simple Pleasures

Life got you down? Here are 50 reasons to smile.

35
Life's Simple Pleasures
The Kitchn

Recently, life threw me a curve ball. I had a personal matter to deal with that brought down my mood and mentality. For a period of time, the usual activities that gave me hope and enjoyment lost their effects. But this happens to the best of us, doesn't it? The Slump is a place in which we all find ourselves at one point or another. While letting out feelings of distress, fear and anger is a healthy act, there comes a time when we must pull ourselves from the Slump and be reminded of what's good in our lives. Perhaps not everything listed below is applicable to everyone, but I'm sure we all find at least a few things to be thankful for. Do you have any to add?

1. Dunking a cookie in milk.

2. Having enough money to get through the day.

3. Hearing rain against your window.

4. Real hugs. None of that quick, one arm stuff.

5. Adorable dogs in the park running up to sniff you.

6. Watching a movie from your childhood you haven't seen in ages.

7. Getting into a hot shower on a cold day.

8. Holidays.

9. Dancing and not feeling self-conscious.

10. Falling asleep the second your head hits the pillow.

11. Looking at the sky. I mean really, look. It's amazing in all its endlessness, no?

12. Driving in the car with your friends. It doesn't matter where.

13. The perfect drinking temperature of coffee or tea.

14. Walking through nature.

15. The feeling of accomplishment/relief after handing in an awful, time-consuming assignment.

16. The movie previews before the feature film.

17. The smell of a bakery.

18. When you walk outside in the summer and the air smells like salt water.

19. Long, late-night talks when you have nowhere to be and time doesn't matter.

20. Laughing. Loudly and genuinely, like you're a child again.

21. Meditating.

22. Taking silly pictures with your friends.

23. Listening to your favorite albums during a workout.

24. Coming back to a place that holds your favorite memories.

25. Pizza.

26. The smell of rain.

27. The first cup of coffee of the morning.

28. Cleaning out your inbox.

29. Watching a smile form from a face that lacks expression.

30. Feeling the first drop of rain before a storm.

31. Wearing fuzzy socks.

32. Drawing (or doodling).

33. Venting to a friend who gives back useful advice.

34. The feeling of freedom once you get out of work.

35. Putting on clothes that came straight out of the dryer.

36. Watching the sunrise.

37. Watching the sunset.

38. Finding money in your pocket you didn't know you had.

39. Your favorite song playing on the radio.

40. Eating buffalo wings.

41. Having a clean bill of health.

42. The smell of a new book.

43. Listening to music in the car (the special kind of awesome driving music).

44. The cacophony of nearby, unseen birds.

45. Giving someone a present.

46. The art on album covers.

47. The sight of a baseball diamond.

48. Kissing.

49. Remaining in your pajamas well into the afternoon.

50. The perfect sandwich.

Do you have any to add? Comment below what you consider to be some of life's simple pleasures.