when life throws you a curve ball
Social Life

Life Is 10% What Happens To You And 90% How You React To It

Mind over matter.

306
sunset over ocean
Shelby Levine

Over time, I have come to the realization that some things in life you simply can't control. In life, you may not always have a say in what happens to you, but there is one thing you do always have a say in — and that's how you choose to react to it. I believe this can be split up into two options, looking at the situation in a positive manner or looking at the situation in a negative manner. It is easy to beat yourself up over a situation or to be stuck wondering how you ended up in it, but it is so much smarter to not think that way and to rather focus on how you want to react to it.

It is so crucial to have a positive mindset in life, no matter what the situation may be. This will take you so much farther than you ever thought you could go. I used to beat myself up over the little things in life and would find myself stuck wondering how they ended up like that. In college, I was lucky enough to meet my best friend Gabby, who taught me just how important it is to stay positive and how to find the good in every single situation you may find yourself in. She has opened my eyes to an entirely new way of thinking. It's a crazy concept that we are the only ones who can control our feelings and emotions. Not our friends, family or anyone else other than you. This is a power that we each individually are so fortunate to have.

Every day we wake up with this ability to choose how we want to react to life's situations. We have to realize that our mindset is completely up to us. Not up to any circumstance or any one person that we sometimes may think it depends on. We hold the power to turn any situation around by simply changing our thoughts on it. There is no point in sulking over something that you can't change. It is simply a waste of energy and will do nothing but make you more upset than you were to begin with.

The next time you find yourself upset and distraught over a situation or circumstance, remember how important it is that you think positively, and realize that while the situation may seem out of your control. You are always the one in control of it by being able to choose how you want to react to it. So stay positive and make the most out of any and every situation you are given in life. This life is amazing and way too short to let the little things get to you. So no matter the circumstance, keep in mind that life is merely 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Go make that 90% count.