The New Year is about to begin and we all know what that means… New Year's Resolutions. Year after year I have chosen a resolution that I have never gone through with. Some of them ranged from losing weight, clearing my skin up, or (being the unrealistic person I am) giving up sweets altogether. This year, however, feels different. Not because I feel motivated to physically change myself, but because for the first time all I want to change is my inner self.

Since being in college I have had a lot of new changes occur to me. I've also come to several realizations. For one, I'm proud of who I am and who I'm becoming. For two, I don't despise my body the way I once did, instead, I truly see it as a temple. Now that I don't feel pieces of shame towards myself I'm able to contemplate what I want myself to become. The person I want my kids to be proud of, and the person I want my husband to admire.

That is why my New Year's resolution is to become a better person. I want to take more chances to help others around me. Give more advice to my friends. Even try to keep myself in uncomfortable situations if that means lending a helping hand to someone who truly needs it. I won't shy away from asking someone if they are alright. And I will tell people I'm always here to listen if they need me. No longer will I keep in my bubble out of fear of ridicule. Instead, I will take ridicule head on, and change the unfair ideas through my actions.

This year may only be the beginning of a long journey, but I'm ready for the trip. It may be difficult, but to be the person that I know I can be I am willing to struggle and invest my time into. I know that I won't wake up on January 1st and feel changed because I made the decision to be, I see how change in yourself is something that you realize occurred days after you made a decision to be different. In fact, change is difficult to really see and it could be months or years before I realize I've come a long way. That is, however, perfectly fine because this year I'm not creating a standard for myself. I'm simply going to make changes and see where they lead me, and if they lead me down the wrong path then I'll keep turning till I'm where I'm supposed to be.

So this New Year, find something you believe will shape your inner self. If you believe that starts with the outside, then go for it. Just remember who you are, and what is important, is nestled in the soul, not written on the face.