A Day In The Life Of A Virtual Journalism Intern

I'm making the most of what miss rona has given me. Killing two birds with one stone, you might say.

9
Cristina Formichelli

Consider yourself lucky that you're even reading this article right now.

I started as a virtual spring intern in December 2020 (no winter break for me) and it's been great! I'm pushing myself outside of my comfort zone, learning so much, and becoming a real-life published journalist! Woohoo!

The workload was perfect until the semester started. I'm taking 17 credit hours and am actively involved in many student organizations as well as my internship.

Now, I let myself shower as a reward for getting things done.

My days are busy but productive. I've learned to prioritize and make better use of my time (although it seems there's not enough of it.)

Here is a rundown of a Monday in the life of Cristina Formichelli: Student Intern Extraordinaire.

8:15 a.m. -- Wake up and get ready for my 9 a.m. staff meeting

I hit snooze multiple times before getting up and doing the bare minimum to get myself ready. On mornings when I need to be on camera and with my bosses, I'll put on a nice shirt and sometimes do my makeup. I'll scroll on my phone before hopping on my Zoom meeting.

9 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. -- Interning away (on the clock)

I would love to say that I'm a morning person, but I'm truly not. After my meeting, I'll grab some breakfast, update my to-do list for the day and go over my deadlines. I typically won't make any of my phone calls before my classes if I can avoid it, because I get called back quite a lot while I'm in class, I've learned, and I can't keep missing content. I do what I can up until my first class.

11:50 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. -- Class (round one)

This is pretty self-explanatory. This is also the class I've missed the most in because of my phones calls. I also make and eat my lunch typically then. Multi-tasking!

12:45 p.m. to 2 p.m. -- Interning (off the clock)

I've found that I've been busy enough since school started to need to work outside of my work hours, but I don't really mind. I'll make my phone calls within 9-5 typically unless a certain person/business I need to get in contact with has a better time available later. I'll sometimes work on schoolwork if I've done all that I can do with my assignments.

2 p.m. to 4:25 p.m. -- More class

I have two classes during this time. I get a 10 minute break in between where I'll stretch or get some water or something.

4:25 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Schoolwork, interning & dinner

I have no set time for dinner, just whenever I'm hungry. I'll also work on some internship stuff here too if I need to, the stuff that I don't need to take care of in a 9-5 fashion. I've also taken a break to go to the gym after class on Monday.

8 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. -- Organization executive meeting

Sometimes this is canceled, so I'll just continue my schoolwork.

8:30 p.m. - 10ish p.m. -- Keep working

See the pattern?

10ish p.m. -- 1:30ish a.m. -- Hang out with my boyfriend

His schedule is much lighter than mine, so he's flexible with hanging out! We'll typically cuddle and watch something to decompress from our day.

1:30 a.m. -- Get ready for bed & pass out

Sometimes it's later than this depending, but I'll typically get ready for bed, scroll for a bit, then go to bed.

Pretty busy, huh? Notice how I didn't say shower anywhere in here, get any exercise, or call my poor mother. Yeah, not ideal.

However, I'm being productive in 2021. Taking advantage of what the pandemic has to offer me during this interesting time. My internship is not based in my college town, so that's good for me that it's virtual!

I'm also learning how long things usually take me and do little things that aren't due very soon to still be productive while procrastinating what needs to be done. Productive procrastination! How can you even call it procrastinating?

Anyways, I've been writing this for too long and need to move onto my other mountain of things to do. Good luck with your semester, and remember to take a step away from your mental health if you need it!