So, You Made It To College And Realized You Have Nothing Figured Out — That's OK

Life is hard. Life changes. We don't have to know everything about everything.

212
Katelyn McKinney

Maybe it is just me, but I have to plan everything out. I have the next 10 years of my life all laid out, patiently waiting for me to get to each milestone.

Well, sort of.

There is no way that I can actually plan out the next 10 years. Life changes WAY too much for that. But I try to do it anyway. Why? I don't know. I ask myself the same question. Maybe it's because I feel like I have to control everything. That if I am uncertain of anything, it could all go terribly wrong. But that is the problem with all of it: I have no way of controlling all of my circumstances. And when I try to do this, it ends with me blaming myself for things that I have no control over.

I think the biggest question today for most people is: "What am I going to do for the rest of my life?" Particularly in the job aspect of life. A lot of us are in college and are supposed to pursue a major that will determine what kind of job we get in the future. How are we supposed to know?

The thing is, I don't think I'll ever know. There are so many different things that I want to do or accomplish before I die. I don't want to do one thing my whole life. And who said we have to? You are not just limited to one job or one thing that you have to do your entire life. I have dreams, big dreams, and I plan on accomplishing all of the ones that have a place burning in my heart.

A lot of people are afraid to dream because that can sometimes seem unrealistic or out of reach. Don't be afraid! Reach for that dream and don't stop reaching until you get where you want to be. Sure, it can be a little scary, but like I said, you don't have to have it all figured out yet. I still know people who are in their 40s that aren't sure what they want to be when they grow up. Let's remember that imagination is what fuels us, and we can't ever lose that.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, why do we let failures keep us from thinking we will ever achieve what we want? Just because someone said no or your path to your goal had a little bump in it doesn't mean that the road ended at a cliff. The road keeps going, you just have to stay on it, even with the bumps and turns. We don't have it all figured out, but I am sure if you stick to what you want, then you will end up where you'll love.

I don't have it figured out, you don't have it figured out, no one really does. Just do something you love and work for it. Don't let people tell you that what you want isn't good enough or that you shouldn't do it. They're lame. Don't be that person; be the person that reaches their goal and encourages others to do the same.