10 Life Lessons From "thank u, next"

10 Life Lessons You'll Learn From Listening To 'thank u, next' On Repeat

Ariana is a queen, thank u, next.

257
Ariana Grande

Not only is "thank u, next" her sixth album, but it's one of the most influential and raw albums she has ever created. Not only will you have a good bop on EVERY song, but you may learn a couple things or two.

1. It's okay to be "needy"

Being needy isn't always a bad thing. The song "needy" is about Ariana explaining she often feels insecure and craves emotional support and attention. Although needy can be used in a negative connotation since our society today generally praises independence in both men and women, everyone gets needy sometimes. When a person is breaking down or not at their highest point of life, they will typically need someone to talk to or to help them out.

We all tend to become needy when it concerns our feelings, love, family, or anything emotional. Life is honestly a roller coaster, so you can't always be strong and independent. Sometimes we have to let our guard down. Her lyrics to the song say "I'm obsessive and I love too hard / Good at overthinking with my heart," which mean that she's saying that sometimes her emotions get to the best of her and she overthinks and loves too much, but it's normal because that happens to everyone at SOME point in time. Next time you feel needy, find a person that will help you fulfill that emotion you're missing and know that it's OKAY.

2. It's also okay to just want to have some fun sometimes and not want someone in your "bloodline"

Just wanting something for the fun of it is also okay. The song "bloodline" is about Ariana and a sexual relationship she has with a friend where she basically wants to "have a good time" without having to fully commit to a relationship and having them "in her bloodline," or in other words, the good old "friends with benefits." Not wanting anything that requires a commitment is okay because, at the end of the day, it's about what you want and what you currently need in your life. Maybe commitment doesn't fit into your schedule and you just want to have a little fun. Everyone that you meet doesn't have to be in your "bloodline" at the end of the day.

Her lyrics to the song say "Don't want you in my bloodline, yeah / Just wanna have a good time, yeah / And no need to apologize, no / But you gon' have to let this shit go," which means her current intentions are to just have a good time and she doesn't want to apologize for it because that's all she wants. However you are feeling about a person, just let them know whether you want them in your "bloodline" or not, because "friends with benefits" can be a difficult situation if feelings aren't expressed clearly.

3. You don't always have to put on a "fake smile" to please everyone

You don't always have to pretend you're happy. The song "fake smile" is about Ariana discussing her dissatisfaction with life and how she no longer wants to put up a facade to hide her emotions, as celebrities are often forced to comply with these standards. Although we may not be celebrities, we all go through things and we all sometimes have to hide our true feelings because of the situation, so we tend to put on a facade or show a fake smile. It's okay to not always have a smile or to not always be positive because upsetting things happen in our daily lives.

Similarly, it's okay to have an attitude sometimes because things can get on our nerves, and it's honestly normal. Her lyrics to the song say "I can't fake another smile / I can't fake like I'm alright / And I won't say I'm feeling fine / After what I been through, I can't lie," which means she's going to stop putting on a "fake smile" or pretending that she's alright and saying the opposite of how she's feeling. After the year she has had, she realizes, why would people expect her to be okay? So next time you are feeling down or upset, don't put on a fake smile all the time because faking it isn't always the healthy thing to do.

4. Needing space is okay, too. "NASA" says so

Wanting a share of alone time is perfectly fine. The song "NASA" is about needing space, or distance from someone. NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration, which is an independent agency of the United States federal government. Even though it has nothing to do with the actual agency, it is more of a meaning in terms of space and distance. Sometimes being around a person for too long can lead to wanting space or wanting a short break, which is perfectly normal since, as human beings, we all need privacy from time to time. Making sure you are okay is a priority and sometimes people tend to forget about themselves in a relationship.

Her lyrics to the song say "Baby, I can't really miss you if I'm with you / And when I miss you, it'll change the way I kiss you / Baby, you know time apart is beneficial / It's like I'm the universe and you'll be N-A-S-A," which means that if two people aren't always spending time together, they'll end up missing each other even more and in the moment they see each other, it will be even better. She also says "You know I'm a star," which shows that it's okay if you believe you're a star because all stars do need some time to shine on their own.

5. Always be thankful for everything that has gone on in your past. Good and bad. Say "thank u, next"

Saying thank you to all the things and people that you've experienced in your past is okay. The song "thank u, next" is about Ariana appreciating all of the relationships she has had and realizing it's time for her to move on and focus on her next relationship, one with herself. She is saying "thank u, next" to anything in her past and wants to focus on herself. When you have to move on from past relationships, the healthy thing to do is to just appreciate and move on to the bigger and better thing.

Her lyrics to the song say "One taught me love / One taught me patience / And one taught me pain / Now, I'm so amazing / I've loved and I've lost / But that's not what I see / So, look what I got / Look what you taught me," which translates to her saying relationships in her past have taught her different things and from those experiences, she feels that she gained knowledge and has grown as a person. Not bashing on relationships from your past is OKAY.

6. "Bad ideas" sometimes lead to fun experiences. Be spontaneous

It's okay to want to have an adventurous night or two. The song "bad idea" is about Ariana thinking about all of the bad ideas she has and how she simply wants to do them to numb the pain she is suffering due to her past. Of course, when you are trying to numb the pain, a bad idea always comes to mind. You have to remember that not all bad ideas are actually bad, and some just add a little bit more fun to your life.

Her lyrics to the song say "Yeah, I'ma call you over here to numb the pain / I got a bad idea / Forget about it, yeah, forget about him, yeah / Forget about me," which means she just wants to forget about her past and just let loose for one night. Remember the song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and have some fun sometimes.

7. It's okay if it takes a long time to grieve, you don't always have to "ghost" everyone

When you lose someone in life, it's okay to not immediately forget about them. Healing takes time. The song "ghostin" is about the way Ariana handled Mac Miller's death while she was still in a relationship with Pete Davidson. In the song she expresses that she is sorry for the way she reacted to it and how she wasn't able to hide her emotions. In reality, when you lose someone, you will obviously be affected by it. Losing someone can be like losing a piece of you, especially if you weren't prepared for it. The song can also be interpreted as being with someone but loving somebody else.

Overall, this is most definitely one of her most raw and emotional songs. Her lyrics to the song say "Baby, you do it so well / You been so understanding, you been so good / And I'm puttin' you through more than one ever should / And I'm hating myself 'cause you don't want to / Admit that it hurts you / I know that it breaks your heart when I cry again / Over him, mhm / I know that it breaks your heart when I cry again / 'Stead of ghostin" which means that she is so appreciative of how understanding her current partner at the time was in the time of grief. Although she knows deep down it's breaking him, especially as she continues to cry at night over him. If you are going through grief, let it out because at the end of the day, you should be your priority.

8. Sometimes it may just be "in your head." Remember actions speak louder than words

It's okay to confuse someone's feelings for you, because now you know. The song "in your head" is about Ariana having thoughts in her head and believing that the person did, too, although now she thinks maybe it was just all in her head. Similarly, as people, we think a lot of thoughts in our heads and sometimes we want things to go a certain way. However, in reality, it can just sometimes be our imagination and we may never get what we really want.

She even uses the words "my imagination's too creative" to show that she's making things up in her head. Her lyrics to the song say "Falling, falling, but I never thought you'd leave me / Falling, falling, needed something to believe in, oh / I thought that you were the one / But it was all in my head," which means that she had higher expectations for the person she was with, but in the end she created it all in her head. If you feel that you are creating another version of someone in your head, then erase it because, in reality, they're not worth your time.

9. Never stop dreaming or "imagining"

Was I dreaming? The song "imagine" is about imagining a perfect world, or a world where everything is the way you want. It also is a sign of unattainable love that is "now and forever" unreachable. Her song lyrics say "Imagine a world like that / We go like up 'til I'm sleep on your chest / Love how my face fits so good in your neck / Why can't you imagine a world like that? / Imagine a world," which means she is dreaming of a place where she can sleep on her loved one's chest and just be able to admire them. Also, the song has tons of whistle tones at the end of it in which makes it 1000 times better.

10. WHAT "BREAK UP WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND, I'M BORED" IS REALLY ABOUT

This song is not about how she wants a guy to break up with his girlfriend just so he can entertain her. The song "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored" is about her breaking up with her boyfriend so she can start loving herself. It's mostly about self-love and about making herself a priority, instead of whoever she is with. In the music video for the song, Ariana is following a couple around the party and she is seen to be continuously making eye contact with the guy until the girlfriend is seen to also be Ariana.

The thing is, without seeing the music video you may think otherwise about the song because the lyrics all point to her wanting to interfere with another relationship. So if you feel like you need to find out more about yourself and love yourself first, then don't get into a relationship because you can't truly love anyone until you love yourself.

And now, we wait for her next AMAZING album!