Life Lessons From "The Vampire Diaries"

When it comes to shows about vampires, werewolves, and witches everyone thinks that it will just be another wannabe "Twilight". Well, "The Vampire Diaries" is so much better than "Twilight". We learn lessons that we can take with us through life. We live through the characters in the show learning what they learn and sometimes loving who they love. Without "The Vampire Diaries" I wouldn't know many of the things I do today. Here are a few of many lessons I have learned while watching:

1. There is nothing more important than friendship

Without the help of each other, many of the obstacles that the characters face throughout the show would be almost impossible to resolve on their own. Elena loses her family, learns many new things, and even becomes something many wouldn't believe. With the help of her friends by her side, none of it would have been easy to go through. Her friends are always so willing to be at her side to protect her at any moment. Although Elena goes through many tough obstacles she has great ones as well and her friends were by her for each one. Which is why the first lesson we learn while watching The Vampire Diaries is that you need your friends to help you through your toughest and greatest times.

2. Family is everything

From the original family; Klaus, Rebekah, and Elijah show us that family is always and forever. Of course, for most of the show, Elijah and Rebekah are scared of Klaus and his temper which draws them to always be by his side and do as he says. Deep down we learn Klaus has always tried to protect them because he loves them. Being the original vampires (the first vampires who started it all), the Mikaelson family has gone through centuries together. They believe in doing anything to keep each other safe and protected, even if it means putting a dagger in the heart and keeping them in a coffin for decades. You can keep up with the Mikaelson family on their spinoff show “The Originals”.

3. You deserve a strong love

Whether it's the love triangle of Stefan, Damon, and Katherine or Stefan, Damon, and Elena the show always leaves you on the edge of your seats wondering who will be with who. Each character has their issues and has done something they shouldn't have, especially Damon and Katherine, but it doesn't mean that they don't deserve love. We learn from watching the show that the love the characters have for each other will never die, even if they can't be who they want to. Everyone makes fun of the Salvatore brothers (Damon and Stefan) because they let their love get in the way of their decisions, but the decisions they make is because they want the best for those that they love. In the end, we learn to love with our full hearts and always go with your gut.

4. Live life to the absolute fullest

The last lesson learned while watching “The Vampire Diaries” is to live your life fully. As a vampire, you live forever. You go through centuries and centuries learning new things, experiencing many events, and meeting so many new people. “The Vampire Diaries” shows us that you only get to have one lifetime. You should live it without fear and don't hold back on anything. It shows us to never try to overcome obstacles on your own, that is why you have your friends and family. “The Vampire Diaries” shows us to never give up and keep moving forward.