12 Life Lessons Brought To You By ABC's Desperate Housewives

Thanking Bree, Gaby, Susan, and Lynette for their wisdom today and everyday.

1198

In its eight lengthy and drama-filled seasons, ABC's Desperate Housewives did much more than just entertain us.

The ladies of Wisteria Lane have taught us so much about life as we know it, and I am eternally grateful for the many lessons I learned by watching the show.

Here are 12 of them:

1. You can never cover up a crime

We learned this several times throughout the series - every time someone on Wisteria Lane tried to cover something up, it always came back to bite them back in the a**.

The truth always comes out, ladies.

2. Never trust your neighbors

Of course, it is always nice to put up a friendly front and greet your neighbors with a smile. But you can never trust them too much, for you might end up with a murderer living next door.

3. You can't ever tell what is going on behind closed doors

A white-picket fence does a lot more than you would think. The seemingly perfect life that takes place in a house isn't always so perfect. In fact, most if the time it is far from it.

4. Don't judge someone based on a first impression

Again, there is so much happening in people's lives that we have no idea about.

It is so easy to wipe on a smile and act like the perfect neighbor/friend, but you can never really tell what someone else's intentions are!

5. People have a lot more going on than they let on

All of our favorite desperate housewives seem like they're living the perfect life, but in reality, not one of them has it all figured out. Whether it's Bree covering up her son's sins or Gaby dealing with her past, you really just never know what's really going on with someone.

6. It is so important to always have someone on your side

The girls on Wisteria Lane always had each other, and that's how they got through all their misfortunes. They never left each other's side - always had a strong alliance that was impossible to break. And they made it!

7. Don't be afraid to offer help to someone who seems like they are in need

If you sense that someone might be in need of help, chances are they probably could use a hand.

You are probably better off helping them right away than waiting until the problem escalates and might even end up affecting you - and in a bad way!

8. Jealousy never ends well

If there's anything that came in between the girls, it was jealousy of each other's seemingly perfect life. But no one actually had a perfect life, so the jealousy just served as a barrier to their friendship.

I know, I know, it can be hard to never feel an ounce of envy. But it needs to be kept in check because jealousy never ever ends well.

9. There's nothing a dinner party can't solve

Whether it's at Bree van de Kamp's, the Solis', or a course at every house on the street, dinner parties were always the center of attention on the lane.

Yes, sometimes they create more problems - with all the preparation needed, gossip that occurs during it, and issues with the guest list (or sometimes, murder ;) ).

However, at the end of the day, the best way to unwind is having a nice dinner with those you love most.

10. Or one of Bree's Pineapple Upside Down Cakes

And, of course, we cannot forget about Bree's delicious baked goods. She basically wipes Martha Stewart off the map with her scrumptious and extravagant desserts. Her cakes can not only turn a frown upside down, but even do as much as save a marriage or distract someone.

11. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer

The girls always remained loyal to one another, but also made sure to keep their enemies in check at all times. You can't ignore someone who is out to get you or they will get you.

12. Every girl needs a group of best friends

And finally, if I had to choose one essential lesson Desperate Housewives taught me, it is that your girlfriends will always be there for you, no matter what.

Through thick and thin, Gaby, Bree, Lynette, and Susan always stuck by one another, and their friendship is seriously #goals, if I may say so.