Lessons to learn at 18 years old.

10 Life Lessons That Hit Hard When You Turn 18

Hit me like a brick.

20

As of November 17th, I turned 19 years old. It's actually insane to me. I reflected on my 18th year as another year of growth and change to become a better version of myself. While heading into college while I was eighteen I learned a lot of life lessons. These are just 10 of the lessons that I'll take with me for my years to come.

1. Turning 18 doesn't mean you're ACTUALLY an adult now.

You're actually still a kid, and honestly, every adult laughs at you when you think you're bigger and better by turning another year older!

2. You can do more now, but not THAT much more when you turn 18.

I really thought you could do basically everything when you turn 18. You can get your own tattoos/piercings, you can vote, buy tobacco, legally drive later at night.. but other than that.. what really else? You still live under your parent's roof. Just wait until 21 for anything else really.

3. Appreciate the little things while you're still young.

Because before you know it, time will fly and you'll halfway through your twenties and doing things like paying your own bills. So appreciate everything that is given to you while you can now.

4. People are changing, and growing around this time, including you.

Everyone is trying to find themselves, including you, yourself. Whether it be finding a new hobby, interest, a new place, or whatever.. Just know that everyone's end goal is to be happy with what they are doing and along the way, they might make mistakes. So will you.

5. Everything is temporary.

Right now may seem like it'll never end, or maybe it's the best time of your life, but it'll definitely be done before you know it. Time always flies and never stops for anyone.

6. Putting yourself first is SO important.

Your happiness > everything. Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. Don't let yourself be put down by others. Stand up for yourself and what you love. And that leads me to...

7. Being yourself is SO important.

Because if you really aren't yourself, then who are you, really? Nobody will really know to enjoy the presence of the real you. Be yourself. Always.

8. It's okay to decide to walk away when you've had enough.

To the friends that haven't bothered to care, to the family members who put you down constantly, to the partner who has put you in the situation of an abusive relationship, the job that won't treat you fairly.. Know when to walk away. Know when enough is enough. Do better. For yourself, and to prove others wrong. Nothing is wrong with saying "enough is enough" !

9. Who you surround yourself with makes the biggest difference in your life.

The more positive influences around you, the better. Find people that support and love you for you and keep them around. Nothing feels better than the feeling to know that people ACTUALLY care for your well being, and it makes the such a huge impact on your life.

10. Success will come, through time.

You don't wake up and feel success, you work for it. You work hard whether it be through school, work, or even on yourself. You define your own success, and you'll know when it's here.

So with that.. I look forward to my 19th year. To know that I'll learn many more life lessons to bring with me and move forward in my growth.