A Few of Life's Lessons

A Few of Life's Lessons

Buckle up, hold on tight and enjoy the ride.

49
A Few of Life's Lessons

You are currently playing the game of life. I think of our lives as a continuous road trip adventure. You don’t know what’s ahead, and that can be scary. Life is like driving down a long, sometimes smooth, sometimes bumpy road, with loads of construction. Along the way you meet people, lose people, make decisions you didn’t think you’d have to, and definitely make mistakes that you have had to learn from. It may take a few mistakes before you realize what you want, need, and deserve. But in the long run you survived and became a better person.

Here are some life lessons I’ve learned in the short amount of time I’ve been doing this thing called life (as told by many random pictures and gifs):

1. I am second

I was a kid who was brought up in church and went to every church function and summer camp they had. Hearing my preachers talk about God and what all he has done and continues to do for us opened up my eyes. His love for us is so much bigger than anything I have ever experienced. By putting God first, I know that anything is possible, that he will take care of me, and that any struggle or tribulation can be overcome. With him, life is a little easier.

2. Friends and family are everything.

I can personally say that I do not know where I would be without my friends and family. They have given me advice, encouragement and support, told me things I didn't really want to hear but needed to hear and they are always there for me. What more could I ask for? Even with stupid fights, flaws and mistakes we make, our family and friends will always love us. No matter what.
3. Never be an option. Ever.

It's simple. Never ever let someone make you an option.Always be a priority. You deserve that. They either want you or they don't. The person who cares would do anything for you and to make you happy. We are way too old and most definitely too tired for games, and it is not a competition. We want you to make us number one and not be compared to someone else. Pick us. Choose us. Love us.

4. Be Selfish.. sometimes

No, not the selfish type that does not care for anyone but themselves. But it is okay to spoil yourself every once in a while as a reward for hard work, getting that A, or even after a rough day. It is natural to take a break from your busy life to do something for yourself. After all, you deserve it and worked hard for it.

5. You don't have to impress anyone.

I think The Breakfast Club says it best. You may have to get all fancy and on best behavior to impress your future boss at that interview you've been preparing for, but you do not have to impress the rest of the population. Love yourself and be true to who you are. No need to worry about what others think because that doesn't matter. What matters is what you think and how you see yourself. The rest will fall into place.

6. Shopping is the answer.

When is shopping not a good idea? I can't lie, retail therapy always makes me feel better and like the saying goes, "shopping is cheaper than a psychiatrist."

7. Be careful who you give your heart to.

Do they deserve it? That's a good question to ask before giving your heart to the next person that enters your life. Don't give it to someone only for them to trample all over it and then leave it there for you to pick up the broken pieces. Make sure they are going to cherish it.

8. It's absolutely okay to be single.

You don't need someone to make you happy. Be happy with yourself and the rest will come. It does not make you any less of a person, or less lovable, or less wanted. You're preparing yourself for the right time with the right one.

9. Enjoy the ride aka life.

Life is also a roller coaster. We all know that. There are ups and downs, bumps, and "detours," but it is still a beautiful ride full of laughter, tears and lessons learned. So buckle up, hold on tight and enjoy this ride called life.

10. Dance it out like no one is watching.

Frustrated? Happy? Sad? Just stop, take a breath and dance it out. That 20 second dance session or 2 hour car jam session can brighten up your day and make you feel so much better. Put those boogey shoes on and just let loose.

11. Take naps... lots of naps.

Because we can all relate to this picture. We went from hating naps when we were kids to loving naps so much in college that we do it everyday. You're less grouchy after a nap and you feel refreshed and ready to go.

12. Never answer "that phone call".

Unless it is Ryan Gosling, then definitely answer (it's okay to admit that you would). We all know what "those calls" are. No need to go relive the past if it will only cause you more heart ache. DECLINE! *insert talk to the hand emoji*

13. Girl's nights are a MUST.

Gather up the squad. Put on your favorite heels and grab that red lipstick because girls night is here. A night away from the boys and boy trouble does the soul good. Enjoy this time with your closest and most favorite girls.

14. We write our own stories.

This is your life. Your fairytale. You are in control of yourself and your decisions. Life is what you make it, so go out there and live the life you want with the people you love.

15. Things are never as bad as you think.

It is all about how you perceive things. You may think it is the end of the world and that you'll never be okay but guess what? You are going to make it through and laugh at it one day. With the help of friends, family and food. Definitely food because it makes everything better. I always have to remind myself that someone out there has bigger problems than what I am going through.

16. Self confidence goes a long way.

Having self confidence helps you see yourself in a more positive light and you feel better about yourself and accept yourself more easily. Of course, the dose of self confidence doesn't need to get too big because let's face it, no one likes an over cocky person.

17. Feelings suck. Really bad.

We all know that feelings can be so confusing and can have you torn not knowing what to do. Take a deep breath, reflect on the situation, and go from there. Everyone says when you find the right person you will know and it'll be clear. And don't forget that eating your feelings in ice cream is never a bad idea either.

It is really obvious that Gossip Girl has a lot of moments that we can take and learn from so kudos to GG for giving me the answers to some of life's questions and challenges, as well as things to think over.