11 Truths Every Journalism Major Has In Their Life

No, Communications majors don't count.

15
UMass Journalism

Though the common stigma is that journalism is a dead major, leading to a lifetime full of chasing gigs and the news, it has more to offer than meets the eye. Many people underestimate how much work goes into being a journalism student, and I'm here to show you just how aggravating it can be to hear, "Journalism can't be that hard."

1. As a journalism student, you're constantly writing--whether its an article a day or an article a week, your mind is constantly going with things to do.

2. You always have to keep up appearances with your professors for connections and networking.

3. You can never show up late to a class because you know a journalist can never be late to their own event that they're covering.

4. There's a lot of on-the-field work, meaning that you'll be spending a lot of time outside of class shooting and editing.

5. More often than not, Journalism students will have jobs that cater to their own major, like working at a school newspaper, an online media, source etc.

6. But, everybody in your department will be competing for those positions.

7. Journalism students always are friends with either the linguistics, english, or communications students, since we all have similar classes together.

8. You always get used to having classes in all the same buildings.

9. You can never get tired of taking your favorite professor to Starbucks in an effort to get some advice on a future internship possibility.

10. Journalism students never get tired of questioning even the most reasonable of statements--it's in our nature.

11. It's inevitable that your eyesight will quickly go to hell from all the computer screens you've been staring at.