Life Is About Imagination Not Imitation

Life Is About Imagination Not Imitation

We need to remember that constant imitation kills innovation. It's time we separate from what we think is right and finally be ourselves.

68

Imagination. This is a word we are very familiar with. From finger painting with a plain piece of paper to creating stories for our baby dolls, we know how to use our imagination and started at a very young age. So, why do we need an imagination? I truly believe human beings live off of their imagination. We feed off of our dreams, aspirations, and goals and that comes from having an imagination. I think it influences what we do, the actions we take, and who we want to be. Whether you think you are a creative person or not, your imagination sparks your creativity whether that's on a smaller or larger scale. The way we imagine can create dreams and visions that turn into realities. Most of the time when I hear the word imagination, I think about being a young child and my large imagination. But why does that have to stop when we are young? I feel the most valuable time to have an imagination is now. The present. Whether you are 5 or 55 we need our brain to think outside the box, want to aspire to bigger and better things and invent our own reality.

In church the other week, I was taught a lot about my imagination and how it is one of the most beautiful things that we are gifted with. For some reason, I feel a lot of us take it for granted.

Imitation. Imitation is a word we know that is used when copying something or someone else. For some reason, in this world, we lack a lot of imagination and focus on imitation to get "to the top".

My question for you is how do we get "to the top"? When thinking of someone successful, what is it that they did or are doing to get where they are today? I can tell you every person I can think of has created a successful life for themselves from personal talent, hard work, and or dedication. It is hard to create success from imitation but that sadly is the mentality of a lot of our society now. We want success immediately. We want love now. We want talent now. Our society refuses to wait for the great. We refuse to allow our imagination to take time and take off. We need to imitate others relationships to feel happy. Imitate others success to find success and imitate others for our own personal growth and happiness. But is any imitation real? No, imitation can easily be "imitated" into imagination. Copying other peoples ideas or even choosing a life for yourself out of imitation and not leading with your imagination can truly change the life you potentially are supposed to be living.

How can we re-spark our imagination and work on ourselves?

Turn off the TV and go sit outside. Take in the noises around you, take in the weather, the breeze and the silence. Start journaling about your thoughts, aspirations, and dreams. Research creative films and pick up a good read. Reading is a wonderful way to spark an imagination.

How can we stop the imitation?

Get rid of your social media for a week. A large part of imitation is constantly viewing how other people live their lives, their creativity, their happiness, and their relationships. Focus on reading, writing, drawing, what your stylistic visions are compared to others. Use a week or a month or however long you need to rediscover your visions and your path without having the constant reminder to look at others.

We need to remember that constant imitation kills innovation. There is no way that new things can be done, small or large if we are all imitating. The term being unique isn't possible with the word imitation.

What are the insecurities we have that aren't allowing us to be innovative and have strong imaginations? Why do we imitate? Are we scared to fail? Are we scared to be different and to be unique? We won't discover our real voice without our imagination.

God created you. He created me. We are all here and all are meant for different paths and journeys. It is time we separate from what we think is right and finally be ourselves.