4 Lifesavers for People with Anxiety Disorders

Sharing your story makes a difference even if it is a small one.

89

As someone who suffers from Anxiety disorders, I tend to get really flustered and frustrated at not just big projects but also smaller ones. Though I have only been officially diagnosed for about 2.5 years, I have learned a lot of tips and tricks that have allowed me to live a little bit more carefree than I thought was possible.

DISCLAIMER: If you believe you may have some sort of anxiety disorder or mental illness, consult a doctor and therapist in order to get the correct help and medications, these tips will not solve all the problems that come with Anxiety, but they will help lift the burden off of your shoulders a little more than just your typical medicine and organizational hacks.

Since my anxiety went unnoticed for so long, I made a lot of choices for myself to help combat the stress I was feeling, even though now that I know the cause of my troubles, I still make sure that I have a planner with me at all times, since writing is therapeutic and so is having everything organized. Having a planner on me that I can use to keep track of school and everyday life allows me to enjoy the smaller things without getting stressed about the bigger ones. Since everything is in one place, you don't have to worry about misplacing or forgetting assignments or even events you have planned.

While essential oils can't cure everything, having certain scents near you when you get an anxiety attack or start to feel stressed is extremely helpful. Most common oils used for anxiety include eucalyptus and lavender scents, which calm the nerves and allow you to relax and think logically about whatever is going on. I use eucalyptus spray on my pillow every night before I go to bed to ensure a good nights rest for the next day.

I understand that not everyone has a good family situation or friend situation, but having a good support system behind you is always helpful to any mental illness or issue in general. If you do not have family or friends that you know you can trust to help you out, there are always people you can reach out to on your campus. Whether it may be a guidance counselor or your favorite teacher, there is always someone to talk to.

Lastly, remember it is always okay to take time for yourself, you do not always have to be around others, it is so so helpful to take a day or two and just take a bubble bath and read a book, watch some movies with some popcorn. It will not hurt you I promise. Of course, do not neglect assignments for a bubble bath, but if a huge project is due and you are halfway done and it is stressing you out, take a break, not everything has to be done in one sitting.

Remember, not all of these lifesavers work for everyone, but sharing what works for you can in some way end up helping someone else, even if you don't know it yet. Sharing your story makes a difference even if it is a small one.