Life As a Dancer

Life As a Dancer

Looking at dance from a relatable, personal perspective

200
Life As a Dancer
Boapdvrlists

I started dance when I was 8 years old. I remember as soon as I started to perform and figure out all the logistics that came with dance, and I learned to love it. I loved practices, performing, and being competitive. I will be discussing what it's like to be a dancer and the perks and disadvantages of being a dancer.

1. Bobby pins are found everywhere.

If you are a dancer, or any kind of performer, you can find this to be true. I find bobby pins that I haven't seen in years in the corners of my room or dance bag. They are obviously used to prevent hairs from coming out of a hairdo, but dancers usually need a lot of them. I used to always hate buying bobby pins because I knew once I put them on, I would be extremely tired after a performance and I'd take them out carelessly never seeing them again. I usually just have to look around my floor or on my desk on a day that I need bobby pins and I'll retrieve bobby pins from three years ago.

2. Glitter and sequins on costumes.

I'm always caught off guard when I find glitter from costumes on my body. It's also mildly entertaining to find glitter on the clothes of the people I hug after a performance. Especially when it's people like my dad that do not think glitter is the finishing touch to their look. Although, it is sequins on costumes what gets to me and especially when the sequins are in the armpit area because it is so painful. Ask any dancer if this is true and I am extremely positive they will say yes. Sequins on a costume in this area usually leaves scratches and red marks on the skin from the movement that happens when dancing.

3. Stretching is painful, but necessary.

I remember, getting my splits was the most frustrating thing to me when I was much younger. I used to loathe stretching, but flexibility is an important factor in being a better dancer. Dancing, or any flexible physical activity, requires stretching and competitive dancers need at least an hour of stretching a day to see results. Not everyone has this kind of time on their hands, but this can prove how important it is to have the flexibility required in dance.

4. Traveling is fun, competitions are stressful.

Many dancers can agree competition season is the most stressful yet exciting time of the year. Traveling has always been my favorite part of competing. If it were not for dance, I probably would have never been to places like Orlando, Las Angeles, or Las Vegas. Although, dancers have to work hard and be more serious when it comes to the competition part of traveling. Competitions usually have conventions, which is also another very fun, yet serious side of competing. At conventions, dancers sometimes receive scholarship awards and many other opportunities when they are chosen for their skills above the rest.

5. Hearing the same songs over and over.

I used to get irritated listening to the songs of some pieces over and over again and especially when the same dance is rehearsed all year long. Every time I hear a song I have danced to, I usually want to cringe because I have probably heard it a thousand times. Some really good songs have been forever ruined for me because I have heard them so many times. Ultimately, I still appreciate the music and I will probably agree it was a fun dance regardless of how many times it's been played.

6. The ability to dance in random places.

I always have the constant urge to dance wherever I am. Whether there's music playing or not, I feel it's necessary to dance just because it's fun. I used to always do leaps down the aisles in Target just because I could do so and nobody would see me. Even when people do see me doing these things I don't really get embarrassed because it's a normal thing for me to do. When music plays in public it never fails that I start dancing because I really can't help it.

These are just a few things from the many that come with being a dancer. I hope some people can relate to these examples and I hope others find them entertaining. All in all, being a dancer is very fun, but has always come with hard work and dedication.