What Life Is Like Under 5 Feet

What Life Is Like Under 5 Feet

When you miss the legal dwarf limit by 1 inch.

41
What Life Is Like Under 5 Feet
gurl.com

Being 20 years old at the height of 4'11 can be a struggle as well as fun. There have been endless times when people have gone up to me and said "Wow! You're so short!" Really? I had no idea, thank you. Through the struggles and benefits, I have to say that I enjoy being short and love my height. It's not bad being fun-sized.

From elementary school to now at college, people still find it hard to believe that I am almost 21. I look really young so people usually assume that I am 12 or 14. It tends to be embarrassing when the Sodexo workers in the dining hall mistake you for your friend's little sister or a student from the elementary school on campus. It's hard to be taken seriously when I look young, especially when youre trying to talk about your future with a professional and they keep calling you "cute" and "so tiny!" The worst is when I'm working at my job and the customers say to me, "Oh, I didn't know they hired kids here?!" It also gets embarrassing when I'm going out to eat at a restaurant and the waitress asks my sister if I would like a kid's menu. I'm just waiting until I turn 21 when the bouncers and bartenders will say to me, "Wow! This is the best fake I.D. I've ever seen!" Looking young does have its perks. Literally everyone tells me that it will be worth it one day when I'm older because I'll still look young. Right now, I'm just waiting for that moment to come.

As someone who loves to shop, I often have a difficult time when it comes to clothing and shoes. My shoe size is a size 5 but I can also fit into a kids size 2 and 3. It is impossible for me to find shoes that actually fit right. Especially when it comes to high heels. I always seem to find high heels that are as high as a "tack." Clothes are either too big or too long on me. If there is a petite section in the store, then I usually go straight to that section. Don't even get me started on jeans. It is the biggest pain when the jeans fit right but are too long so you have to get them shortened at the tailor's.

Many pictures that I have with my friends come out a little awkward because I'm extremely tiny next to them. The worst is when you're going out to the club with your friends and they are all wearing heels and you think you'll be fine but you remember that your heels are only 1 inch above the ground. Also, when you have your heels on and you think that it's the perfect boost on your height, you go to stand next to your friend and you find yourself at the height of your friend's boobs. Being constantly surrounded by taller people is the story of my life. A part of my self-esteem dies whenever my little cousins come to visit because they are already getting taller than me and they're in elementary school. It's going to be interesting when I'm a teacher one day. Whenever pictures are needed to be taken, it is always encouraged that I stand in the front. I don't mind this actually because the real star is always placed front and center.

Some benefits of living the life where you are closer to the ground is being able to fit in small places. You don't have to worry about fitting in the taxi to the club because you could just sit on one of your friend's lap. You can also hide in boxes during your job when you don't feel like working (it works). If your roommate decides that she is going to be a commuter, then you can always hide in her suitcase so you can go with her.

An odd struggle that I seem to face a lot is when people step or trip over me. There have been many times where people will just walk into me because they just didn't see me. Or there would be a time in high school where I would bend down to get my books out of the bottom of my locker and someone would actually trip over my body. I think the scariest was when I was in the mosh pit of a Big Sean concert. I advise short people to never do this, I almost died that night.

Not being able to reach anything is a constant struggle that I face. I had to actually bring a step stool to college because I couldn't reach my clothes from the top of my closet. When I'm in the kitchen and I can't reach something, it is like an obstacle course. I climb around on the counter and drawers just to get something. I can't even reach the gas peddle in my car without adjusting my seat all the way up.

I used to hate being picked up by anyone and would usually say something like, "unhand me you peasant." Now, I don't seem to mind. I use it to my benefit when I can't see something by going on my friends shoulders or piggyback rides when I don't feel like walking. My friends seem to enjoy making me their armrest but I think I just got used to that.

Regardless of the struggles and benefits, I embrace the fact that I am short. I find it to be my unique trait that sets me apart from the others. I've learned to love myself and can have fun with the common struggles that I face.