I Went To The Library For The First Time All Year And This Is How I Felt

Confessions of the College Student Who Is Just Now Getting Back to the Norm
414

Last week, I went to the library to study for the first time and I forgot what it felt like to feel productive. I always seem to find time at home to get my homework done, to finish my extra-curricular activity obligations, and spend time with my friends – all at the same time. As a freshman, I was under the impression that going to the library was the key to success – but this year has been a turning point for me. After spending a couple of hours in the library, I have come to several conclusions.

1. The library, for me, is a glorified social hour

It’s so hard not to talk to your classmates, sorority sisters, and close friends that walk by your table. It is a common spot on campus and of course that you are going to see your people! Plus, who doesn’t need a good study break?

2. Surrounding yourself with working individuals doesn't mean you're going to always work

Just because the people around you, are working hard – does NOT mean that will motivate you. Last week, I was at the table with two of my closest friends and they were both being productive – although even they, did not motivate me to continue my studies.

3. Tables without power outlets are a vibe kill

I truly don’t understand why some tables in the library are made without power outlets. How am I supposed to spend hours in the library if my laptop dies, or my cell phone battery gets low? Last week, I left my phone sitting on another person’s table because my table didn’t have a power outlet. I can’t be productive without simple supplies!

4. You can be successful and productive without being in the library

Whether it be in the Cistern, in the Education building, or in your room – you can be productive without visiting the library. Last semester, my grades were the best that they’ve been my entire college career.

This ever-evolving stigma about the library needs to stop.. just chill, ya know what I am saying? YES – the library is great. YES – you can definitely get a lot accomplished there, but it is NOT the only place or time to be successful in your schoolwork.