10 Stages Every Student Has Experienced If They've Been In The Library

We all cringe when Starbucks isn't on Tapingo...

195
UKboardingschools.com

Spring break has come to an end, and going back to school means going back to the good old university library. I know, personally, I'll be spending a few, or more than a few, quality hours with my favorite desk and Starbucks drink by my side. As I write this now from my family home, sitting in the dark room my mother calls an office, I desperately miss every part of the school library. I decided to turn this longing into writing, because I'm sure other people who absolutely need the library to get work done will understand the struggle.

And now, all the phases a student goes through before, during and after visiting old reliable, Francis Harvey Green Library.

1. Thinking about all the work you have to do.

This is by far the scariest stage. After going to that class that you thought you were all caught up in, and realizing you are absolutely not caught up, sends your mind straight to the library, where productivity lies. I've found myself sitting in bed some days with that death stare on my face as I realize I really need a library trip.

2. Actually making your way to the library.

Whether you're in the dorms, down on south, at the Edge or in some apartment in between, there is at least some type of walking to be done to get to the library. When it's cold out, students dread going to the library. You bundle up and waddle there, and then once you're inside you're engulfed in the overly heated building. After you get all of your hundreds of layers off successfully, this warmth turns into a good thing.

3. Starbucks.

This is the best part of the library. What goes together better than coffee and doing homework? Nothing! If you're lucky enough for Tapingo to be up for the library Starbucks then you have it easy going. No lines is a blessing to someone like me who absolutely hates standing up for no reason. I mean, who likes lines? It's hot and slow moving, you have to actually talk to people and you could just be getting so much work done back at your station. Either way, the Starbucks of the library is a big bargaining point. Don't want to go to the library alone? Just remind a friend of those little sips of heaven and you can get them hooked.

4. Getting ready to do work.

Whether you went with friends or not, we all do this. You pull out your laptop first, check some websites and check for homework. Maybe talk for a little while with whoever you went to the lib with. Next pull out your notebooks and textbooks. Maybe mess around on your phone for a little bit, make sure you keep your streaks, because lord knows you're about to pull an all-nighter (but let's be real, there is no way you won't touch your phone this whole time.. pfft.) Then maybe, just maybe you start to do some work but then pops up a notification from Tapingo; Your order is most likely ready! Go grab your food! And off you go...

5. Grind time.

This is when the actual, real-life work gets done. You zone in and hound down. If you're really flying through you might even get that natural high from doing so much work. No? That's just me? Okay.

6. Study break.

You just did so much work, you should reward yourself for such a great job. You talk to your friends for awhile, check your phone (and those streaks) and just diddle around on your computer until you're ready to get your head back in the game.

7. Starting to get delusional.

This starts to happen around hour four or five if you're a hard core library go-er. The longer you go the worse it gets. If you're unlucky and Starbucks is closed for the night you have no way to combat this slow feeling. Your work ethic starts to decrease and the breaks come more and more frequently. Time begins to feel like a construct... What is time? What is homework? Why am I here? etc. etc.

8. Calling it quits.

You've either successfully gotten all your work done or reached the point where you simply can't go on. Either way it's time to pack up and slink your way out of there with your head feeling a little bit like mush. Time to brave the cold once again, that'll wake you right up.

9. Feeling satisfied with your productivity.

The feeling when you get home and can finally relax is one of the best feelings in the world. You question if this is nirvana. You can make a snack and watch some Netflix without that little nagging of your conscience reminding you that you have 5 assignments due this week.

10. Remembering that thing you forgot to work on.

As you lay down, close your eyes and almost fall asleep, you suddenly remember that test you have at the end of the week. It's a lot like the feeling of forgetting to set an alarm, but instead of just pulling out your phone and correcting your mistake, you plan for another library trip tomorrow.