The LGBTQ Community In The Bible Belt

The LGBTQ Community In The Bible Belt

The struggles of being a part of the LGBTQ community in the south

348
The LGBTQ Community In The Bible Belt
from wikipedia

If you aren't familiar with the bible belt of the United States, it generally includes the states in the southeastern part of the United States. Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, and South Carolina are all known to be a part of the southern bible belt of the United States. The whole theory of the "bible belt" is that it is known to be very centered around religion. The religions involved is typically Christianity and Catholicism. As I'm sure you know that in the bible they say that homosexuality is wrong. Some people take that very seriously in their religion and even become homophobic because God views it as wrong and as a sin. Others are still affiliated with their family's religion or their religion of choice but they accept and support the LGBTQ community.

Being lesbian or gay in the south is often frowned upon and even scary to people. Coming out and telling people such as your friends and even your family could be so frightening that some just keep it to themselves and choose not to tell anyone from the fear of losing friends or getting disowned by their family. Some people are very blessed to have a loving and accepting family and friends that support them and who they are.

Though it is a wonderful outcome for some, it's not the outcome for all, unfortunately. One of the most heartbreaking things to see is when you tell your family or friends, and they don't accept you. Imagine spending your entire life with these people that you know and love and you come out to them and all of the sudden, they treat you like a total stranger- like they have never known you. It is painful not to have a family member or friend accept you, but its such a rush of relief and happiness when they do.

Even though the rollercoaster of coming out to the people close to you is emotional, sometimes you can't help but notice the things that are happening around you in public. Personally, my wife and I have been made fun of and teased in public just for holding hands and kissing.

There are people who constantly stare and look at us like we are horrible people or that we should leave. The horrific stories of people who are members of the LGBTQ community that have been harassed in various ways and sometimes it has escalated to violence are endless.

Although prejudice of all types and in all different ways lives all over the united states, the oppression you feel from living in the bible belt is beyond comprehensible. In the south, being gay or lesbian or transgender is something you do not talk about. Those subjects are considered "delicate" and are usually avoided. I think its time to bring light to those "sensitive" subjects and talk about them in the open.