A Letter to the Teacher Who Did More Than Teach

Thank you. Actually, scratch that because thank you could never be enough.

22
Oklahoma News 9

Dear Mrs. McClaren,

Thank you. Actually, scratch that because thank you could never be enough. Not only did you provide an education in A.P. U.S. history for me, but you made it fun. Even besides that, you've inspired me and introduced me to what are now two of my biggest passions, American History and Politics. With that, you've opened up doors for me that I never thought possible, and given me the direction that I can take these passions and make them my life. But, there's even more that you've done. Aside from helping me succeed in my education, you've taught me to work relentlessly toward my goals, always go the extra mile, and to always be intentional and specific, never vague. So, Mrs. McClaren, here's to you.

Mrs. McClaren, your passion for history and teaching is nothing short of admirable. I'll never forget the days when you dressed up like Ben Franklin, or the hard work you put into creating projects for us that sparked our creativity and caused us to think outside of a book or a worksheet. And may I say, I've never seen anyone so excited to talk about Manifest Destiny and Westward Expansion. As much as I sometimes dreaded your class, I thank God that I took it now. Not only did you help me score well on the A.P. exam, but you've helped me succeed in other classes. The critical thinking, the improvements in my writing, and the broader vocabulary that I developed through your course has overlapped into my classes after yours.

Mrs. McClaren, not only have you educated me in U.S. History, but you inspired me to become passionate about it. Before I knew it, not only was I doing homework for your class, but in my spare time I was watching historical documentaries or the news. Once I was in your class, I began to notice politics more and more. I realized the importance of the upcoming presidential primary season, and began to do research. From there, I realized how much I loved politics and how much history tied into it, causing me to love it more. As I got into politics more, I found more avenues for me to express my opinions and network with others that are young and in politics. I got involved with an organization called Turning Point USA, my school's Young Republicans, and I'm even going to the presidential inauguration in 2017. From here, I've been able to recognize my potential, and have planned my career. Because of my love for American History and Politics, I've decided to pursue a career in law. I firmly believe that if it weren't for the education you provided, I wouldn't have been interested in politics, especially not this young.

Mrs. McClaren, you've become more than an educator. I know this to be true for many like myself. You've taught more than history; you've taught your students life lessons. I work harder than I ever have for my education, and I do my best to do more than expected. So thank you, Mrs. McClaren, for being the teacher who did more than teach.

Love, Riley