A Letter To The Dancer Who Is Finished

A Letter To The Dancer Who Is Finished

Cherish every moment.

1352
A Letter To The Dancer Who Is Finished
Long Stems

You've been training for years for this final performance. I remember that feeling I got right before my last dance recital. It's a bittersweet moment. Whether this is your senior recital, or just your last recital as a dancer, cherish every moment. You'll remember those days for a long, long time.

My last dance recital could not have been anymore perfect. I was surrounded by people who loved me and supported me. My senior year was the hardest year for me, but my dance family helped me get through everything. All the hardships of that year paid off when I left it all on the stage. I will shamelessly admit to being that dancer who cried during every dance I was in.

As you're preparing for your last recital, tell your dance mom and/or dance dad thank you. Dance is expensive, time consuming, and exhausting. Our parents sacrifice so much for us to do what we love, so be sure to love on them, thank them and maybe even take them out to dinner as your treat. It's the little things that mean the most. Also, tell your teachers thank you for shaping you to be the dancer you've become. I sat backstage helping out at my old studio's recital this year since I came back and danced as a professional, and I could not help but feel so thankful for the training I received.

Take the time to cherish the moment. Your last recital is something you will never get back. This stage (no pun intended) of your life is coming to a close, so take all the pictures you can, hug all the friends you've made, and leave it all on the dance floor. It's okay to cry, trust me. Just make sure there's someone waiting to fix your makeup during all those quick changes. Don't do anything you might regret. If that means taking that one extra class you've been wanting to try out, then do it!

Let your heart shine when you dance. Whether you are in the studio or on stage, show the world your love for dance. It will not go unnoticed, I promise. That love will inspire a younger girl to continue dancing. It will inspire an audience member to chase after what they love.

Last but not least, have fun. Don't stress about those quick changes, or if you will remember that one difficult section in a dance. You know the choreography. When you are waiting to go on stage, have fun trying to stay warm back stage. Find all sorts of ways to have fun. You'll enjoy it, I promise.