To The Plants I Have Loved And The Ones I Have Lost

A heartfelt letter from a plant mom to her first plant child.

34
Original Photo by Karlee Onstad

Dear Plant,

I remember the day I brought you home. You sat in the front seat, bundled behind the seat belt with the wind gliding through your little leaves. That was also the day you immediately snuggled right into your new pot, and I knew then that you were the plant for me. While you were shy at first, it wasn't long until you started to spread your roots and blossom into the beautiful soul everyone loved. The time flew by and, before I new it, you had outgrown your little pot, so we went to the store to pick out your first adult pot. I had never been so proud.

But, there were hard times too. There were the winter days when your favorite spot next to the window got a little too chilly. Or the time I had to leave you alone for a week during Spring Break, and you wilted from the the lack of flowing watery love. Or the times you felt ignored as more plant babies surrounded your stand. And, of course, the loss of our few friends whose adjustment to a new home was just too overwhelming. They turned brown from the sadness, so I had to take them to The Farm. Nevertheless, together we talked it through and have grown stronger everyday.

Your diligence was unparalleled. You worked endlessly everyday absorbing CO2 and converting it into oxygen for our family, but you never complained. While I may never thank you enough for your dedication to the health of the people around you, I appreciate your perseverance to go the Photosynthesis Plant everyday to provide for all of us.

While you were quiet and rarely expressed your feelings in words, your love sprouted through the way you grew towards the sunlight, reflecting its glow. Or, when your leaves would perk at the sound of having your favorite meal, lukewarm water. You have always been right by my window whenever I needed you must. I have fed you all the wisdom I know, and you've grown into the beautiful and independent plant you are today.

Which is why I know you will make a great parent! I was overjoyed that you were blessed with two adorable little sprouts on the outskirts of your pot. It seems like just yesterday I was only a mother, but today I take on the role as the hip grandma, too. I couldn't be more thrilled! And, before we know it, we will shopping for two new pots for when your little ones move out and begin their teenage years--just be ready for the dirt-y words...they can be little pot-ty mouths. Yet you'll never be alone, I will always be there for you, just like you've been there for me.

I am excited where our journey takes us, from new homes to new windows to new pots, all while our little green family grows and prospers.

Thank you for being the best little bud.

With endless love,

A Plant Mom