A Letter To People Who Think My Major Is Easy

My degree doesn't mean less just because I didn't take O-Chem.

8621

Dear Reader,

I'm majoring in Early Childhood Education, and right off the bat, people think how hard can those classes be? And sometimes, they're right. Some of my classes can be easier than other people's. I'm not taking O-chem, anatomy, computer science, or physics. But just because my major requires different classes to graduate, doesn't make it easy.

I'm not a science person. I have never been good at biology, chemistry or physics. I'm not a math person. Calculus scares me and memorizing formulas gives me anxiety. I'm not good at those classes and I know that. But why does that mean that the classes I am good at, mean less?

I understand that a class called "Teaching Elementary Level Math" sounds like it's an easy A, but it's not. Having the pressure of being able to teach young children the right way to read, write, count, and speak is not an easy task. I have to be able to help kids with any learning issues they may have in a matter of seconds or their academic futures could be seriously jeopardized.

It's not just education majors that get their accomplishments diminished by other people. Communication, theater, social work, and journalism and more get ragged on for having "easy classes" simply because they are not required to take a lot of math and science.

My response to this is: NO LEVEL OF HIGHER EDUCATION IS EASY.

Getting any type of degree after high school is hard work! No one knows how hard a major is until you're in the major. My degree is not less of a degree because it isn't nursing or engineering. If you're great at science and math, and your life passion is whatever you're majoring in, then GREAT! Congrats!

But please, stop judging other people's majors. Stop saying our finals weren't hard, our good GPAs mean less and our degrees won't get us anywhere.

Love,

Every person that is sick of being undermined because of their major