Letter To My Role Model

I am lucky to progress through life with a built-in best friend.

It's silly to say you have been there from the start, of course you have you are two years older, but ever since I can remember you have helped me find my way even when I did not think it was possible.

The confidence, charisma, and elegance you maintain in every single situation proves how startlingly mature you are for only 21, and the amount of loyalty you have for your loved ones is beyond the scope of anything I have seen before.

Thank you for the late night boba runs, the spontaneous FaceTimes to introduce me to your best friends at school, and for the endless advice to help me try to succeed in everything I attempt. Sometimes being the youngest can be stressful, but having you as my older brother makes everything easier. You own the most impressive resume, yet I have never been compared to you or been belittled by your accomplishments: you are your own person and I am mine, and your support for my personal decisions, no matter how different they are from yours, means more than I can articulate.

Even from a young age, when I was dweeby and painfully introverted, you would bring me to hang out with your friends and find ways to incorporate me fully into your life. Sometimes I was scared and insecure about saying the wrong thing which could potentially embarrass you, but you never shared those fears. When I came to visit you last year at UPenn you didn't brush me off and tell me to mingle, you didn't go hang out with your friends and make me find something else to do. Instead, you invited me to every party you attended and took the time to excitedly introduce me to everyone, even the people you didn't know too well. Being welcomed in this way in a foreign city somehow made it feel like home. Anywhere I go with you feels like home!

I am blessed to have such a supportive role model in my life: a role model who is humble, modest, and who is capable of admitting their flaws. You are someone who constantly strives to be the best version of themselves and no matter how difficult things get, you never give up. I still have so much to learn from you and I cannot wait to see where life takes you in the future. You might still be a little skeptical of your path, but I am fully aware that you are capable of succeeding in whichever job you choose.

All this being said, I am so proud of you. I'm proud to call you my older brother, and I'm lucky to have a sibling bond this strong. You have always been the one person who completely and entirely believed in me when no one, not even myself, did.

Thank you for being you and thank you for helping me survive this long in life. I can honestly say I could not have gotten this far without you by my side.