A Letter To My Old iPod

A Letter To My Old iPod

A letter of gratitude to the reason I now cannot live without music.

5
A Letter To My Old iPod

Dear old iPod,

First of all, I want you to know that the decision to deposit you into an ecoATM was nothing personal. In fact, it was a really hard thing for me to do. But your time was arriving. For years, I had barely been using you. I had been using my few smartphones to listen to music and play mini games, but there were those times when I would find you just sitting there in the cabinet. I would power you on and relive the playlist I had back in the sixth grade. Oh, the memories. However, you were only getting older and older, and by now, you're ancient with the new iPhone 7 being released (no offense).

I'm sure you're in a much better place, wherever you may be now (I have no idea where devices inside an ecoATM go in the future). As for me, I'm swamped with all of my commitments at college. While I balance classes, a job, and two extracurricular activities, I'm always looking for new music to get me through it all. Yet, I sometimes wish I could pick you up again so I could play the music you had; the playlist on your memory drive that is filled with nostalgia.

Transitioning into the sixth grade and my teenage years was difficult, no doubt about it. It was very difficult for me to fit in. Before you came into my life, I was struggling with my first year of middle school both academically and socially.

I remember Christmas morning of 2008 so well. As a 12 year old boy back then, I can tell you that it absolutely was because of the presents I received. I was a pretty lucky kid, to say the least - not only did I receive a brand new cell phone (one that replaced the crappy prepaid phone I had before), but I also received you.

At the time, I didn't really know too much about iPods. I thought their only purpose was to play music. Well, as my first iPod, you served much more than that sole purpose. You taught me that music does a lot more than just play melodies. You helped me realize how much I love music and how it can get me though this thing that we call life.

I was very intrigued by how easy it was to listen to music from a little gadget like you. It was so amazing to me that I would listen to tunes on your memory drive for so many consecutive hours and not get tired of it (I still do to this day on other devices). As I listened to more and more songs, I began to realize that symphonies can really grasp your heart, no matter how you're feeling. The lyrics and sound of the instruments can relate to your current situation so much that you realize you are not alone. At the same time, they help give you a new vision and perspective to life; you realize that it is such a beautiful thing and it's amazing how music can tell any kind of story.

I'm facing more and more responsibilities and being left with so much independence as the years go by. I may not use you for music anymore, but you are the reason I am always listening to something. Whether I am just relaxing, doing homework, exercising, or driving, I always have a song turned on, and I thank you a lot (and my parents, both of whom were the ones to purchase you) for being part of the reason why my passion for music exists and why I have gotten to where I am today.