An Open Letter To My Mom

An Open Letter To My Mom

55

Dear Mom,

Mom, I know I never say it enough, but thank you for everything that you do for me.

When I was little, and even as a twenty-one year old, I take you for granted. As a little girl, you were my first teacher. You taught me how to read and write, and read me bedtime stories (even though you would try and skip part or didn’t read it with voices or in song like dad I still appreciate that). You lead me to have a love of reading, which made me become the writer I am today.

I am grateful that you got to watch me grow up. You stayed at home when I was a kid, went to classes at night, and eventually worked as the secretary in my elementary school. Sure, we had a babysitter every now and then, but you and dad were always there. Throughout all those years, between the three of us kids were different club activities and sporting events. Since I was little you were at each and every event dance rehearsal, basketball game, softball game, anything you name it, and you would be there not only cheering me on, but the whole team. For this, I am extremely thankful because not everyone’s parents were always at the game. It changed a little when I entered high school depending on when or where a game was scheduled, or if Sean or Allison had something they had to be at, but there was always a text before and after the game, and millions of questions from both you and dad wanting to know every detail.

I want to say thank you for allowing me to be myself, to find my own path, and play the sports I wanted to. I know that playing all the sports I played and the added sports of the other two goofballs added up and was expensive, but in the end you only cared about our happiness and I know some aren’t that lucky. So, thank you for that because through sports I also learned about life.

Thank you for showing me nursing. I remember those late nights at kitchen table when you would make me “tests” for me to study from and then you would study your own stuff. At that time, I didn’t understand what studying for nursing was like and I honestly don’t know how you did it. Keeping track of me, studying for anatomy and such, could not have been easy. Now that I’m in college majoring in nursing, I am even more grateful. Both you and dad taught me that hard work in life will pay off and I am lucky enough to have had that drilled in my head as a kid because it got me where I am today. I worked hard and got to go to my number one choice for college and I couldn’t have done it without you. Don’t worry, once my hard work has paid off, you will be paid back.

I also want to say thank you for calming me down when I am panicking about a test or class. You always bring me back down to a place of some sanity and say that I can do it and I just have to breathe. You also remind me that at times I am too hard on myself and that, yea, grades aren’t always perfect and that as long as I put in the effort and tried my hardest that’s all that matters. This probably means the most because I always put so much pressure on myself and feel so down when I don’t do as well as I thought, but knowing that it's okay to hit these rough patches is okay. Do I still get nervous and upset and call you? Yes, but hearing you say it just makes me feel better.

There is so much more I am thankful for, but this could go on forever. Mom this whole letter can be summed up in 5 words. Thank you, I love you.

Love always,

Your Thankful Daughter