My Parents And I Are Long Distance, But They're Still My Parents

My parents might live in different zip codes but that doesn't make us love each other any less.

41
Imgarcade

Growing up, you're with your parents every day, they're there to rip the covers off of you and say it's time for school, and to embarrass you whenever you score a goal during your sports game. You were always able to rely on your parents for just about everything because they were always right next to you waiting for you to ask to borrow money or if you can go out with friends, but what if they weren't right next to you? As we begin to grow up, we take the steps from moving out of our parent's homes and starting our lives whether it is going to college or simply walking a new path, things change, we change, and we have to accept that. Those moments we're away from our parents make the moments we reunite with them and go back home even better. In my case, not so much.

This summer, my mother and stepfather have jetted off and moved to Italy, yes a different country. They have always wanted to move to Italy once they retire, but they decided that this summer was the time for it. Although I was so happy for them because I knew they have been waiting to start this adventure, I was completely shook at the fact that my parents were going to be thousands of miles away. My mother and step father were not just a call away, unless I coordinated with the time differences. They weren't going to be there for whenever I wanted to stay at their house or when I wanted to spend time with them. They weren't going to be there. Now I know I am not the only one out there whose parents live in a different country than them, but I am writing this article to express how those kids feel and to give insight on having long-distant parents.

When it comes to my parents, I am mommy's little girl, and well daddy's too. In regards to my mom and I's relationship, we are beyond close. Hearing the news completely broke me down to where I had panic attacks whenever the subject came up and even thinking about her and my step dad moving away I would go to the nearest empty room and cry. It was hard, and it still is hard. Saying goodbye to my mom and step dad was probably one of the toughest things I've ever dealt with even though it was not a goodbye forever sort of deal. As I type this article right now tears have begun to slowly form, agh. Being a child of divorce I was used to bouncing back and forth between both parent's homes and having that annoying set schedule of hearing "it's your moms day" or "you're at your dads tonight", but now it wasn't half time between the both of them, it was full time to my dad, which I am okay with (love you dad). Anyways, it was tough but in today's world we have to learn to adapt to change and see the positive aspects of everything we deal with. I will be seeing my parents late summer and they will always be my parents.

To anyone who has parents that live in a different zip code than them, you understand not having the luxury of getting to talk or see your parents in an instant. The luxury of not being able to spend as much time or even any time with them at all, and that's okay. Since my parents have moved, I would say my relationship with them has not changed and I do not plan on it changing because they live in a different zip code.