A Letter To Future Me Who Finished the School Year

A Letter To Future Me, Who Is Finished With The 2019-2020 Academic Year

Dear Future Me...

21
Photo by Lucia Wang

Hi! I hope you had a great sophomore year. I don't know how I feel right now, having just moved into school a few days ago, but I'm feeling mostly excited. I'm ready to reunite with all the friends I haven't seen in three months, and to take that all-too-familiar walk up the hill every morning to Main Campus. (I'm not looking forward to the sweat and tears, but that's also inevitable.) I have a few goals for this year, and when you finally read this, maybe you can write me back and tell me if I've accomplished them all.

At least, I hope you can give me a hug. Giphy

My number one priority is to maintain my health. College is hard, I'm sure you'd agree. It's frustrating when you have to stay up and skip meals to study and then don't get the grade that you expect, but it's more frustrating when you're out of commission for another week because you got sick from not taking care of yourself. I'm going to try and eat a balanced diet, get at least 6-7 hours of sleep every night, and drink a ton of water. And not fall asleep in class.

Yum. Giphy

Second, I want to finally figure out what I'm majoring in. I have to declare at the end of the year, and right now I'm still kind of indecisive. I know, it's the Virgo in me, but also I feel like I have too many interests to just pick one! Plus, who knows what careers will be out there when I graduate- how am I supposed to know what majors are going to be "valuable" then? As long as I'm happy and passionate, I think I'll be okay. Let me know how that goes.

Third, obviously I want to have a good work ethic and study hard and get good grades and everything. I'm not looking forward to writing papers and taking exams, though. And get this- I already have homework due and class hasn't started yet! Ugh. Wish me luck.

Can you tell I'm already tired? Giphy

And lastly, I just want to have fun everyday. Of course I can't neglect my responsibilities and pretend like I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want, but I'd just like it if I could set aside some time each day to just chill and have a good time. Is that too much to ask?

Anyways, I hope this letter finds you well. Who knows what kind of a person I'll be 9 months from now, and who knows if I'll be able to complete all my goals. Only you, Future Me, can know. Please write me back when the time comes- I'll be here waiting!

Love,

Me

Signed 8.19.19