A Letter to My Best Friend for Her Birthday

Why I Love You & Why I Love Our Friendship

2073
Flickr

Dear Best Friend,

First off, Happy Birthday. Today, 22 years ago, you were brought into this world. I would just like to take a moment and thank your parents for bringing you into this world because I don’t know what I would do without you. Now, we have only known each other for approximately six months, but you're perfect for me. We are alike in so many ways and can just be in each other’s presence and do nothing. If that isn’t what a best friend’s for, then I don’t know what is. So, thank you for being my best friend, now onto the reasons why I love you so much.

Ironically, I didn’t meet you until the second home football game, but since then we have been best friends. We went through fall recruitment together and are in the same sorority, but we didn’t officially meet until a group of us from our sorority decided to sit together. So, I guess I owe the Lamba Beta chapter of Phi Mu at Appalachian State University a thank you. So, thanks Lamba Beta for introducing me to my best friend... I don’t know where I’d be without her.

Now, we have multiple things in common. For example, we go to the same college, are in the same sorority, are both transfer students, have moved away from family, have boy troubles, etc. Even though we have things in common, our things we don’t have in common work together. You like to get up early and be productive, whereas I like to stay up late and sleep all day. I like to nap all day, whereas you like to do things. Although, we still do it all together so it works.

Just last week, I was over at your apartment for almost four hours and I have no idea what we truly did other than lay in your bed. But, it doesn’t matter what we did, just the fact that we did it together. As I write this article, you are currently blowing me phone up trying to help me with an article idea having no idea that I am writing my article this week is about and for you. So far your ideas have been “when your best friend is old,” “when you and your best friend are having guy problems,” and that “you hate guys.”

Now, guys are the one thing we truly have in common. It seems that every week it is a new set of guys, but the same problems. They leave us on read/open, they’re being frustrating, or we don’t know where we stand with them. Nonetheless, we will experience and talk each other through the next set of guys together. You come to me with your boy problems and vice versa.

I have talked you through everything and you have done the same for me. We have been through many things and both have many friends, but somehow you’re still the person I text when I need someone and I know I’m that person for you.

As we are currently texting, you have suggested a article about you for your birthday but when I asked what I was supposed to write, you said you had nothing. If this article doesn’t describe our friendship I don’t know what does.

As I try to wrap up this letter, I realize I didn’t get to say everything I wanted. It’s okay because I know in the years to come you’ll be my maid of honor and I'll be yours, so I guess the rest will go in my speech that I’m gonna have to write for you on your special day. Hopefully, it’s not with, let’s call him "Billy"... but if it is, just know I’ll be down there with him as you walk down the aisle making sure he doesn’t run away or try anything stupid.

I am trying to finish this letter/article, but I can’t stop imaging your face when you read the paragraph above this one and just know that you’re going to kill me, but I know it will be out of love, so that’s all that matters.

So, thank you for being my best friend and helping me when I need it the most (every week with new article ideas). I don’t know where I’d be without you. I didn’t put your name in here because anyone who knows me knows who I’m talking about.

As I conclude my article, you are texting me about “how the first week of school sucks” and that I should write my article about it. Instead, I hope that as you read this, you are practically in tears, because I am borderline crying as I finish writing. Just know that I will always be here whenever you need me to tell you that you’re pretty, or that "Billy" is a pain in the butt, or whatever is currently going down hill in our lives is going to be okay. Just know that I am always here and can easily be reached through my phone if you ever need me. You live two minutes away, so it’s probably faster to come visit than to text me, but I’m always available for you.

I love you, best friend. Don’t ever forget it.

Sincerely, your best friend