A Letter to my Best Friend 3,623 Miles Away

3,632 doesn't have to seem so far

146

Dear Friend,

I miss you so much. I wish I could just jump on a plane and visit. Our real letters take weeks just to get to each other and I feel like a terrible friend sometimes for not texting as much I think I should. I want to see your secret locations that I'm sure you have and that cafe you sent a polaroid of. The view from your roof looks amazing and so does the beach. I'm sure in each letter I send I tell you Ohio is much of the same from when you left. The most challenging part is that you are doing great work where you are and I want to be selfish and have you here with me in this lonely town.

I miss talking about our writing and of course books we love. I love the color you dyed your hair because we're black hair twins. I miss having random photoshoots and filming random stuff. I miss your sister because she could always make me laugh. I most definitely miss having someone around who seemed to understand me in ways others couldn't.

When you first left I'll be honest and say that I thought we would slowly grow apart. I thought it was inevitable that it would happen because we are so far from each other. Some people who call themselves friends live in a 40 mile radius from me and don't even bother to send a quick little text from time to time. Surely this was going to be difficult then right? Every letter in the mail makes the distance seem not so far. Even with our busy lives we try to make an effort to send cute little messages from time to time and keep up with what the other is doing.

I won't lie, it has been hard. We were those people that clicked instantly. We became close quickly. It's hard not having that here. You are a bit of a free spirit. An adventurer, coffee lover, photographer, explorer, and semi-beach lover? You can't be put in one place forever. Whether it's here, there, or across the ocean I will still send letters and will always consider you my best friend.

So no matter how far our letters will reach, I will always have somewhere to visit.

With Love,

Alyssa