8 Tips For My Friends Abroad

8 Tips For My Friends Abroad

Survival guide for study abroad population and us at home
215

As winter break comes to an end, the reality that a majority of juniors in University will be embarking on a four-month journey that is abroad. Whether you are trekking your way to Australia, exploring the magnificent city of Florence or staying in the domestic but equally as distant Los Angeles, one thing is for certain: you will be missed. Here are some tips on the months of travel upon you and some things we will miss about our girls taking off.

1. Be aware of your surroundings

In any foreign place, self-awareness is key to solemn travels wherever the destination may be. Pickpocketers and creeps are in abundance in any major city of any land. Stay focused on your surroundings, but don’t be afraid to enjoy yourself and let your guard down to new cultures and possibilities.

2. Planning is essential

Always have a rough itinerary of what you want to do and where you want to go. Organization is certainly not overrated and in many instances can save you when you least expect it. Have fun with your planning, it will ensure that whatever you want to see and do will be seen and done.

3. Take advantage of your independence

Most people aren’t granted the opportunity and adventure that is study abroad. Seize this moment and allow yourself to stray from what is common. Normalcy should be suppressed and exploration should be embraced. Elevate your language, culture, and soul by opening your heart to a new place. I promise you won’t regret it.

4. We envy you

Everyone you left home will wish they could trade their soul with you. Seeing all the adventures you take will make us want to burn our eyes out as it is. Don’t worry though, don’t stop the party on account of us.

5. Call your parents

Your parents are excited you have this opportunity but probably also won’t sleep until the moment you return. Give them a courtesy call once in a while, just to assure you are indeed still alive.

6. Take advantage of the legal age

Capitalize on the fact that majority of foreign countries have a drinking age of 18. Instead of sneaking into bars and accepting the risk of incarceration every time you sip a beer here in the states, please sip your beer slowly, then take a sip again for all of us here. (Sorry for my LA girls).

7. Accept the fact that WIFI is limited

Consider this a four-month detox from obsessive social media and iPhone use. Your parents will be thrilled by the lack of data used and will fully take advantage of the excess. The fact is, 4G and LTE are not available at every nook and cranny of London, Madrid or any other country. Suck it up, and use the energy you would have spent staring at your phone to strain your head to take a look around. Who knows, you might even run into something fun.

8. Don’t forget about us

Some of the people who love you most will be back at school waiting for your arrival. Don’t forget we are here and that we miss you. It’s going to be strange to not have our older girls by our side, but we will manage and you will thrive and soon enough we will all be reunited just as the universe intends.