A Letter To Freshman Year Me

A Letter To Freshman Year Me

How things have changed.

5

Dear Freshman Year Jessica,

Boy, have you come a long way since 2013. So much has changed; things you never even had thoughts of freshman year. Some circumstances you will be happy about, actually beyond happy, and some other things not so much, but regardless it was a lesson learned. You know, life has a funny way of working itself out. Remember when you had a major freak out about failing those accounting tests? Well, you changed your major and now it is completely irrelevant. You switched to communication studies and have the highest held position for an internship that allows others to read and appreciate your writing. Exactly what you wanted, but always thought was so out of reach, and you did it flawlessly. The one draw back of this is that you put writing your book on hold. Yes, I know that is hard to believe since you’re so dedicated and passionate about it now, but when push comes to shove, you will learn, reality has a way of pushing things aside for a little. On the plus side, you still have the constant love and desire to publish it one day, and I don’t think that will ever change.

Sophomore year really had you grow as a person in the best way possible. You and Caitlin remained roommates and had more funny and memorable stories than I can even begin to think of. It will be a hard year to compare to any other. Oh! You know how you think its super intimidating, yet so awesome, when you go out on the weekends to the fraternity houses? You basically live at them now. Your best guy friends have managed to live in the “dance castles” and you, without hesitation, are frequently there on weekday nights. Honestly, probably a little too often, but it has its perks…trust me.

The best thing I have to tell you is that your mind is amazing. There isn’t a hint of negativity towards how you look and how others portray you. Even sitting here, writing this to you now, it’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that, just two years ago, I was running in constant anxious and worrisome circles 24 hours a day. That doesn’t happen anymore, not even when you’re having a “bad” week. You have learned to embrace all attributes, the good and the bad, and reflect them positivity to those who surround you.

Although the positives outweigh the negatives, some pretty shitty things have happened in the last two years also. I decided I’m going to keep these things to myself, for you still have time to grow and love certain people, places, and memories before you know they might not be attainable at this point in your life, and I don’t want to ruin that for you.

The last thing I want to leave with you is a few pieces of advice. Everything that you encounter in the next 24 months has shaped you into the girl you are today. Keep up your good grades; they will get you to paramount places academically. Remember to not only talk, but to listen when necessary…there will be times others need you more than you need them, and that’s okay. Prepare to deal with a life altering injury…it will not be pleasant. Above all, remain nice to everyone you come into contact with, its something people value you for, and its something you take pride in and internally makes you happy. Life is short, but life is good. If you’re having a hard time, I want you to read this. Remember, it’s a bad day, not a bad life.

Lots of love,

Junior Year Jessica