To the Artists:

To the Artists:

Without artists, the world is an awfully boring place.

17
To the Artists:
Deep Forest Tumblr

Some children grow up saying they want to be store owners or soldiers, others grow up saying they want to be artists; to paint, draw, and dance their way through the journey of life unhindered. These children are often frowned upon, second guessed, questioned. What people don’t seem to realize or understand is the importance of an artist, the effects they hold. People can truly make a living doing art, there is no longer a literal starving artist, but artists starving for acceptance and understanding.

To be an artist is not a cop out, the easy way, relaxed; to be an artist is to take the inner turmoil and thoughts and share them with people who may not understand, who gawk, who question. To be an artist is to design the world around us, make statements others are afraid to. Artists are the reason for the slim design of an iPhone, graffiti on the side on a building, the shape of trees outside a fancy hotel. While all work is necessary, it is the artists that make much of this work possible- even if not acknowledged as art. When a child says they want to be an artist, they are not trying to get out of something, but create something. Not everyone is suited to work in a cubicle or manage a company, but everyone is suited to art.

Art is not just the literal and tangible, but the feeling that can’t be shaken. A teacher performs for her students, a doctor acts hopeful, a designer creates your car. Artists are all around us and influencing our world. They are the creators. Artists hide in unexpected places, going to a community theatre rehearsal they she leaves her accounting job, creating portraits in his room after class. An artist isn’t a slacker or unable to do a "normal" job. Artists are comfortable with who they are and aim to show it, accepting and channeling the feelings that many cannot handleTo lose our artists is to lose appeal. Without artists, we are stuck looking at bland work and experiencing visually unappealing lives. We no longer have concerts to attend, books to read, theatre to see, movies to enjoy. Yes, being an artist has difficulty, but not nearly as much as denying a dream. So, to artists, keep creating. The world could use a little more beauty.