A Letter To My College Roommate

A Letter To My College Roommate, As The Semester Comes To An End

Thank you for making being away from home feel like home.

220
Maanasi Dudi

It's crazy to think that I'm only one month away from having completed my freshman year at Stony Brook University. Going into this year, I was excited about the possibilities that lay ahead of me, but also nervous of venturing into the unknown. It was my first time living away from home and I was going with only two friends from high school.

I found my roommate the spring of my senior year, when she sent me a follow request on Instagram. Seeing that she was going to Stony Brook, I accepted and DMed her. It was only a few conversations later, but I now had a roommate.

Having never had a roommate before, I was a little anxious going into my first week of college. What if we didn't get along? What if she's weird? What if she thinks I'm weird? Questions plagued my mind and I tried to convince myself that everyone was going to be okay. Now, eight months later, I can happily say that not only is everything fine, but it's great. I'm honestly so glad that I ended up rooming with the girl I did because I don't think I would've survived freshman year without her.

Navigating through college is difficult, especially if you don't have a strong support system. While I always knew that I could count on my family for any problems I had, it wasn't as easy to talk to them when we were two hours apart. Being able to room with someone who understood me, though, made being away from home so much easier.

Not only is she smart and funny, but she's a great listener. I can't even begin to count the number of late night conversations we've had over these past months, sitting on our beds eating icies from the Market at West Side and talking about anything and everything. My roommate has become one of my go-tos, and I can always count on her to be there for me.

I'm so thankful for her, and I can't wait for our second year as roommates. Here's to going into sophomore year with an amazing friend.