Dear Mom, This One is For You

Dear Mom, This One is For You

We’ve been through a lot, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

1569
Bailey Martin

I guess what I can say first, is thank you. Thank you for believing in me when I definitely did not believe in myself. Thank you for pushing me to become the woman I am today. Thank you for getting on to me when I needed it most. Thank you for being my best friend. But most importantly thank you for being there. Although, I’ll never be able to thank you enough.

I can honestly and proudly say my mom is my best friend. If it wasn’t for her, I don’t know where I would be or what I would be doing. When I was in high school, I had the smart mouth, I thought I could do what I wanted and would get so irritated when she would tell me “no.” Now, I am just so appreciative of the way she raised me and kept me out of trouble when I didn’t see it myself. You kept me safe but also let me learn from my own stupid mistakes.

My mom, she’s a fighter. She’s been through so much and came out stronger than ever each time she has an obstacle thrown at her. She lost her first husband, my dad, to a long rough battle with cancer. I was born April 4, 1997, and he died April 21, 1998 – a year and 18 days after my first birthday. She was pregnant with me when she found out that her husband had cancer that was too far gone.

So not only did she have me, and take care of me in that first year, she did that with my dad, too, and then when my dad went to be with Jesus, she continued to be that strong mom and take up the “dad” role before she remarried. She had to figure out how to balance raising a baby, having a job, and taking care of herself all in a short amount of time.

But she did it and she did it well.

And for that, I could not be more thankful for the power, the effort she gave, and how strong she was to make sure I was always taken care of and happy. Thank you, Mom.

I’ve had my heart broken and shattered into a million pieces, and who was there for me when I was crying and didn’t want to leave my bed? My mom, my solider. She’s the one who taught me to love myself and that I can be happy. That no guy is going to treat her little girl bad or she will come out for the attack. She will also be there to listen to me when I go back to the guy who broke my heart time and time again and let me cry some more until I learn my lesson.

So Mom, thank you for being my shoulder to cry on.

My mom is my backbone, my person, my heart. I wouldn’t be half the person I am today without her. She’s my best friend. I talk to her every day and I always look forward to my regular good morning and goodnight texts that come as a routine every day – I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t get one one day.

Thank you for always answering my calls (most of the time) whether it’s about how to start a dishwasher, to tell you about the chicken I burned in the crockpot, or just walking from class to class on campus just to hear what’s going on or to tell you something that just couldn’t wait.

We’ve been through a lot, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. You’re my best friend mom and I couldn’t be more proud of you and all you have done. I wish to be half the mom you are one day and I’m so forever grateful God chose me to be your daughter!

Love you bunches and bunches, Mom!